supplemental .zip files

In an attempt to move to Zotero entirely, I wonder whether a supplemental zip file that is accidentally expanded inside a (Mac) ~/Zotero/storage/ABCD4567 folder could break something. I would be careful to Show File in Finder and copy it elsewhere if I use it, but still would want to store it in Zotero with the publication.
  • You shouldn't store anything within the storage folder — that folder is managed by Zotero, and files moved there manually could easily be deleted or cause problems.

If you really wanted it linked to Zotero somehow, you could store it elsewhere and add it as a linked file. Or, depending on what's in it, you could just unzip it and add the individual files as attachments, which would let you open them directly from Zotero.
  • yes, I didn't mean to add it to a folder in storage but as an attachment next to a pdf as in here https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/77189/attaching-multiple-files-to-a-single-reference-entry . Zotero would then give it a folder. My concerns were that if I open that attachment zip, it would expand it inside its Zotero-generated folder which would not be good. I'll expand and import them single.