Awesome bar integration

Have you ever considered integrating zotero with the awesome bar (address bar) in Firefox? It would be nice if the search while you type feature of the awesome bar, which currently searches browser history and bookmarks, could also search URLs stored in zotero.

Dave.
  • I'm not sure I understand. You are suggesting that the Awesome bar show URL results? Were it to include Zotero results, I would expect it to show any matching items, regardless of whether they include a URL field. Zotero items all have an associated URL of the form zotero://select/ that will tell Zotero to open up and display the item.

That said, I don't think I'd want to see this feature! My Zotero library is rather large, and most items are things I'm very unlikely to be referring to in my normal internet usage. Some people, including you perhaps, use Zotero as something more akin to a fancy bookmarks manager, in which case this might be a nice touch...
  • For the exact reason you stated I also do not want it to search all of my zotero library (mine is like 1.7Gb).

I am a research scientist and when I come across an interesting webpage I am sometimes torn between bookmarking it and sticking it into zotero. For certain pages/resources it's not a clear decision for me. So when it comes to finding the site later, if I assume the link is in my bookmarks I can just start typing some relevant text in the awesome bar and the link will come up, however, if the link is in zotero I have to first check the bookmarks and then perform a zotero search. It is easy to have a little difficulty in finding the link following this procedure as apart from not being sure which database contains the link you also have to get the search text correct. If I was guaranteed to be searching the correct database (ie both) then if the link doesn't come up I'll know it's because of a variation in spelling or something similar. Thus it would be nice to share some data (ie http urls) between zotero and the awesome bar.

I would of course foresee this feature as being optional. There's no point asking firefox to search more data than the user requires.

Dave.