How can I retrieve my Zotero data if the motherboard failed but HardDisk is okay?

Hello!

Recently my Microsoft Surface laptop motherboard failed but the hard disk is still okay and separated successfully. I installed Zotero on my new Mac and logged in to my account. I really need to get all the previous files in my Zotero account. Please help me in this case.

Thanks!

Suma
  • This page explains where to find the data directory on the old hard drive and how to restore from it (treating it as a backup):

https://www.zotero.org/support/zotero_data
  • Retrieving data from Windows laptops with removeable SSDs or hard disks that are still functional (when the computer is not) is usually relatively straightforward in my experience; if you are comfortable opening your laptop and removing components. Once removed, an SSD can for example be attached to a USB SSD adaptor that will allow it to be connected to another computer so that files can be copied off it. There are reasons why that might not be possible - for example if your OS encrypted the drive and you cannot unencrypt it - but I have not struck that issue.

Macs however do commonly have their SSD soldered to the motherboard, in which case retrieval is unlikely.

All these ought to be good reasons for scaring people into having good backups. ;)