Bibliography gone?

Hello,
I'm using Zotero for my master's thesis, and it has been working smoothly until today. All of a sudden, my bibliography is gone! Zotero is still linked to the document, all citations are working (they turn grey and I can edit all of them). I can add/edit citations as usual, but the whole bibliography at the end of the thesis is completely gone, and when I add new footnotes nothing is added where the bibliography used to be. E.g. I can't just delete a footnote and replace it with a new one, the Bibliography still doesn't show up.

I have tried closing and opening Word and Zotero several times. They are still connected.
I have checked my computer settings, and Zotero is allowed to work with Word.

Help??
  • You may have just deleted the bibliography. Just insert a new one with Add/Edit Bibliography. A Zotero bibliography is just a representation of the citations you've inserted into the document, so it's never a problem to delete and reinsert it (unless you've added uncited items, but that's rare).

If that pops up the Edit Bibliography window, you might have edited the bibliography to not contain any text, in which case you'd need to look for the existing edited bibliography. If you can't find it, toggle Word field codes and search for ZOTERO_BIBL.
  • Thank you for your answer, but this is unfortunately not what happened. I have tried adding new footnotes to replace the old ones, and still nothing shows up in the bibliography. I have also added new footnotes to the text, and that works, but nothing happens with the bibliography when I add them. It stays completely empty. No window like the one you mentioned pops up when I add footnotes, they are added as usual, but the bibliography still doesn’t show up.

The document is still linked to Zotero, and add/edit footnotes work. I can edit old footnotes and make new ones, but the bibliography is still gone.

I have tried opening a new, empty document and making footnotes there too, but no bibliography shows up there either.

How do I look for the “existing edited bibliography” that you mentioned? And how do I toggle word field codes?
  • What do I do if I can’t find ZOTERO_BIBL in the word field codes?
  • I think you misunderstood what I said. As I say, it sounds like you just deleted the bibliography. If that’s the case, you just need to reinsert it with the Add/Edit Bibliography button. It doesn’t sound like you’ve actually done that. You would never have a bibliography in a new document until you specifically click Add/Edit Bibliography, and you won’t have one in your existing document either if you deleted it.