Best way to combine dissertation chapters

I've been working on my PhD dissertation in separate chapter documents, and am now at the stage of combining them all into a single doc for further editing and eventual submission.

How can I do this without unlinking all the citations? I've done a couple of tests, and all the text is copied over with in-line citations, but the cites themselves are no longer linked to the bibliography, so when I generate that, it's blank.

Reading here, it seems that this isn't possible? How do other users create a workflow that goes from individual Word docs for chapters into a larger doc for the whole book/dissertation/exegesis? Asking specifically for long-form where just redoing all the cites would be an epic undertaking.
  • Do you only require a single bibliography for the entire combined thesis, or a bibliography for each chapter ?
  • Right, the unlinking only applies if you need separate bibliographies. Otherwise you just paste them into a single document and keep citations live. You would typically do this as late as possible, as Zotero does slow down in large documents