Moving attachment pdf from local hard drive to stored inline.

I use three different computers in different locations and have noticed fhat pdf’s that i have linked through the menu as opposed to coming straight into Zotero are not available when I change location. I have tried to use the menu option tools/manage attachments/convert linked files to stored files but it doenst work. Now i have notes on a lot of local files which I can’t access when travellijg. Is there a solution to this? Thanks in advance for any help!
  • edited 10 days ago
    Firstly, the normal way to have linked attachment files available to Zotero across computers is to store them in a cloud-mirrored folder (eg Dropbox, Google Drive), at the same path on each computer. Or if the cloud-mirrored folder has a different parent path on each computer, enter a Linked Attachment Base Directory setting on each computer in Zotero preferences (which tells Zotero how to find them).

When you say converting linked files to stored files (under Zotero\storage) doesn't work, what do you mean ? Note that the Tools\Manage Attachments\Convert Linked Files to Stored Files option will be dimmed until you actually select one or more items with a linked attachment to convert.

• Thank for your answer, Tim. I am going to try to have all files in a directory on my main computer that is shared in Apple icloud (I assume this will work as well as Dropbox or Google drive).

I linked two images that hopefully show what I was doing. I have files in a local directory that I assumed could be converted and moved to some main directory. I think I have missunderstood the structure so Im going to try as you suggest and make one folder.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/zotero.org/images/forums/u13081336/hb9s11x6kl2dwt9zn3jq.png
    https://s3.amazonaws.com/zotero.org/images/forums/u13081336/qmxa21hs2mswjfmiiods.png
  • In your first screenshot, Zotero thinks Trauma.pdf is at /Users/mac/Downloads/Trauma.pdf. But it obviously isn't there. I assume that screenshot is *not* from the computer where you first linked that PDF (where it still exists at that location).

Most people manage linked files with the Zotfile plugin (for Zotero v7, currently in beta, attanger or zotmoov will perform similar functions). On the computer where Zotero *can* find the linked PDF files (when you try to open them), you will first want your PDFs to be moved to your cloud-mirrored folder, and Zotero to update its record of the file's location. Zotfile will move them there from where they are currently correctly linked (or if they are in Zotero storage). To achieve that, you would set Zotfile's Custom Location folder to point to your cloud folder location. And then use Zotfile's right-click Manage Attachments\Rename&Move to move those PDFs to that Custom Location/cloud folder. As part of that process, Zotero will store that path as the new location of each linked PDF when it is moved. So the PDF will be find-able to each computer.*

You will also set up the cloud-mirrored folder on each computer, so that all your PDFs are mirrored across all your computers. As long as Zotero's *data* syncing is turned on (free, unlimited), the correct stored location of the linked files (in Zotero's database) will sync across all your computers. Note that linked files don't work for the Zotero mobile app or the web library or groups.
    https://www.zotero.org/support/attaching_files#linked_files

When you have got it all working, write it all down (with screenshots of the relevant preferences settings), in case you ever have to re-create it. ;)

BTW in your second screenshot, the reason why you don't see the Tools\Manage Attachments\Convert Linked Files to Stored Files option is likely simply because that PDF (Trauma.pdf) is not at the location that Zotero thinks it is (on that computer). So Zotero can't find a PDF to offer you the option to convert/move it back to Zotero storage (should you ever want to do that in the future).

*ideally the cloud-mirrored folder is at exactly the same path on each computer. If not, you would need to set Zotero's Linked Attachment Base Directory on each computer.