After closing the window, zotero's built-in reader can't open the pdf

When I start zotero I can open pdfs normally with the built-in reader, but as soon as I close the zotero window and call it up again I cannot double-click on a piece of literature information to open the article. I'm using version 6.0.37, and my computer is macOS 14.4.1. at this point, I just have to completely exit zotero again (instead of closing the window), and then restart zotero, and it works fine again.
I've tried changing the file open method to the system default (i.e. the way my Mac opens pdfs), and that's when it opens the file anyway.
I've also tried opening the document information without the PDF (just the web link), at which point I can go to the corresponding link in the document normally anyway.
  • Could you test if the issue still occurs with Zotero 7 beta?
  • I can't reproduce this in Zotero 6, so I don't think this is a general problem.

@MaWentao: You don't have to test the Zotero 7 beta now, but Zotero 7 changes various things that might affect this, so you should let us know if you can reproduce whenever you run Zotero 7.
  • @martynas_b Thank you for your reply. there is the same problem in Zotero 7. I can minimize the window and it doesn't cause any problems. The problem only occurs if the zotero window is closed.

@dstillman Thank you for your reply. I asked my classmate (who also has a Mac) and he did not experience this. Maybe it's caused by some glitch in my computer.
  • Try the latest Zotero 7 beta, which fixes a different bug related to closing and reopening the window on macOS (though I'm not sure how it would affect this).