Do Collections move when you copy the data folder to a new computer?

Hello,
I have a Zotero library on computer A that will need to be moved to a new computer. (time to upgrade my tech). I have spent a lot of time creating collections in Library A in order to organize my journal articles
I do not sync.

In the Documentation, it is explained to Copy the Data Folder from computer A, and transplant it into the data directory of computer B after I install Zotero.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/zotero.org/images/forums/u6519830/choojcal9zdo2yj24taw.jpg

When I move the data folder to computer B, will all my collections move as well and will the articles be properly placed in those collections?
  • Yes, of course — the point of that page is to tell you the two ways to transfer your data.
  • dstillman

Thank you for your response.
    The help documentation did not specifically state that the collection organization would transfer as well.

I just didn't want to lose all my work.

In another section of the documentation, I found this...

https://s3.amazonaws.com/zotero.org/images/forums/u6519830/dydbynk5da27rlfdrlz5.png

I know it was talking about moving items between libraries, but I wanted to make sure.

Thank you again
  • I just want to make sure that the collection list and the collection placements are maintained when I move the data folder to the new computer.
  • Disclaimer: I am a user of Zotero, not a developer
    If you copy the whole data folder, everything will be the same. Just be careful about three things:
    1. Close Zotero before you start copying.
    2. Delete Zotero data folder on the new device before you paste the existent data folder.
    3. If you are using Zotero with an account (i.e. logging into your Zotero account from the desktop program) and if you enabled library sync (I guess you are not using sync attachment sync), make sure that Zotero sync has happened before you start the process in order to not cause any sync issues.