I'm using zotero, zotfile, google drive. how to make pdf file saving default to google drive and not

I'm using zotero, zotfile, google drive. how to make pdf file saving default to google drive and not local?

When I put a pdf file in zotero or using the chrome extension, it automatically finds the pdf file and saves it to my computer. how can I make it save to google drive and not my computer? I watched youtube and fiddled with the settings, but the default save location is always my computer and I have to rename it to go to google drive.
  • edited 19 days ago
    There are different ways of adding linked PDF attachment files, for different scenarios. Zotfile is involved in some of those ways. Zotero also has some of its own ways of adding linked files. Additionally, only the Zotfile ways use Zotfile's renaming rules.

Zotfile's documentation has not been kept up to date recently. Which explains why new users have some difficulties using it (not all youtube tutorials are up to date either. University library-based instructions are usually better). Also, Zotfile works in Zotero v6 but not in Zotero v7 (currently in beta). So we will transition to a new plugin when Zotero v7 is released (current candidates are attanger and zotmoov).

If you download a PDF via the Zotero Web Connector, the PDF automatically goes to Zotfile's Custom Location folder as a linked file, if you have set that folder in Zotfile preferences (Custom Location would be set to a Google Drive folder in your case).

If you have an existing PDF in local Zotero storage (in a folder under Zotero\storage), you can use Zotfile's right-click Manage Attachments\Rename&Move to move it to the Custom Location folder. You can do this for multiple items at once (best to do them in chunks).

You can also use Zotfile's right-click Attach New File, on the latest-dated file saved to the (other) folder designated for that purpose in Zotfile preferences. The PDF will be renamed/moved to Zotfile's Custom Location. That's the method I usually use for manually added PDF files.

If you already have PDFs organized in a folder in your OS and you want to keep them there - as linked files - you can manually add a PDF by using Zotero's right-click Add Attachment\Attach Link to File. Or you can drag and drop the PDF onto Zotero using a modifier-key* drag & drop into Zotero.

*hold down Ctrl + Shift (Windows/Linux) or Cmd + Option (Mac) while dropping.
    https://www.zotero.org/support/attaching_files#adding_files_via_the_zotero_window

If you want your metadata to be synced across computers, you would turn on data syncing in Zotero preferences (free/unlimited). File syncing would be turned off (so your file storage quota is not used). Google Drive in your case would provide the PDF file syncing. Note that linked files don't work with Groups, nor in the mobile apps or the online web library.
    https://www.zotero.org/support/attaching_files#linked_files
  • thanks, really helped.