Zotero 7 Beta: Improving the workflow when tagging annotations

edited April 13, 2024
After heavily using annotations with tags, I see potential in improving the current workflow as follows:

At the moment, after annotating text f.i. by highlighting it, and then clicking on the highlighted text, the text cursor appears in the comment field of the annotation, allowing you to type your comment without any other actions, which is very convenient. But if you press "tab", although the tag field gets selected, it doesn't allow you to immediately type the tag, you have to press "enter" or "space", then write at least one letter and only then you are able to select the recommended tag from the dropdown menu, which always appears at the top of the screen, where the "file", "edit" etc. menus are located, and never near the annotation.

Wouldn't be the world a better place, if pressing "tab" in the comment field, would place the text cursor in the tag field, thus allowing to immediately type the tag, which additionally should also be autocompleted, meaning that after typing the first letter, the corresponding tag would be autocompleted in the text field, so that you can easily assign it by just pressing enter and/or tab?

Autocompletion in the tag field is much more convenient to have, since in the current solution with the dropdown menu you have to press an additional key to select the recommended tag, whereas in my proposal you just have to press one key to apply the autocompleted tag. If you have several similar tags, then of course a dropdown menu should be shown, but in both cases the most suitable tag should always appear within the tag field.