Zotero add-in caused Word to "hang"/freeze

Hello, I've been experiencing problems using the Zotero plug-in in Word for a few weeks now.
1. with Word and Zotero both open/active, I click on any of the Zotero functions in Word (e.g. "add/edit citation" or even "document preferences")
2. Word freezes and no amount of waiting gets the cursor to change back from the spinning wheel to the arrow
3. I force quit Word, and get the following message: "By the way...The Zotero add-in or a macro executed in this file might have caused Word to hang. Please reach out to Zotero support or contact the author of the macro to revisit its functionality."

I finally sat down to troubleshoot this afternoon, and cannot figure out how to resolve the issue.

Word version 16.78.3
Zotero version 6.0.37
macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

many thanks for any/all advice!
  • Start by upgrading Word. That's a version from last October.

If you still have trouble with the latest version, go to your Word Startup folder, delete Zotero.dotm, and restart Word to confirm that Zotero is gone completely from Word. Then reinstall the plugin from the Cite pane of the Zotero preferences. That will make sure that you're using the latest version of the plugin.

If you're still having trouble after that, let us know.
  • Thank you, that worked.

In case other users run into this: I had to purchase new Microsoft apps, because the version I had (2019) stopped supporting upgrades in October. Quite frustrating, but it seems like this is a Microsoft-side snag. In any event, I caved and went with the Microsoft 365 subscription hoping I don't run into a future instance of Word ceasing to support upgrades necessary for the most up-to-date version of Zotero.