I cannot make Zotero work on my Mac

Hello,
I have tried redownloading Zotero a bunch, I have now figured that it will not fix my problem.
I keep getting this message when opening up the program:

"The Zotero database cannot be opened.

Make sure you have read and write permissions for all files in the Zotero data directory and that security software isn’t preventing Zotero from accessing that directory.

Data Directory: /Users/Profile/Zotero"

I have tried changing every major file and folder to read and write but it still gives me the message, can it really be true that I have to change every single file relating to Zotero, I Do not think that this solution seems right?

I hope someone can help me, thank you.
  • Redownloading Zotero won't make any difference here. This a problem with the permissions of your Zotero data directory. It really just means what it says — Zotero can't read or write to either the zotero.sqlite file or the parent data directory itself.

This would pretty much never happen for a new installation. You'd have to have transferred Zotero files from another computer (generally not using Migration Assistant, which tends to get this right) or otherwise changed the permissions, including perhaps for some old installation of Zotero. Regardless, the Zotero data directory and all folders and files within it need to be readable and writable by your current Mac user account. You can do that via File → Get Info in the Finder, but that's just a general macOS thing that we can't really help with.
  • So I need to go in and change every file to read and write? there is a lot of files...
    Thank you for the response though
  • No, there's an option to apply it to all enclosed items.
  • I have tried doing so now and it still does not work, aka I still get that message.
    Thank you so much for your help, I just do not know what to do now
  • Can you open Terminal via Spotlight, paste this command, press Return, and let us know the result?

ls -la ~/Zotero
  • total 14712
    drwxr-xr-x 9 root wheel 288 7 Feb 16:54 .
    drwxr-xr-x+ 21 sofie staff 672 12 Apr 10:37 ..
    drwxr-xr-x 5 root wheel 160 7 Feb 16:54 locate
    drwxr-xr-x 40 root wheel 1280 7 Feb 16:54 storage
    drwxr-xr-x 17 root wheel 544 7 Feb 16:54 styles
    drwxr-xr-x 716 root wheel 22912 7 Feb 16:55 translators
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 2510848 7 Feb 16:54 zotero.sqlite
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 2510848 7 Feb 16:54 zotero.sqlite.1.bak
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 2510848 7 Feb 16:54 zotero.sqlite.bak

This is what I then get in the terminal
  • edited 29 days ago
    Yeah, so you didn't actually fix this via Finder. Everything in the above list should say "sophie staff", not "root wheel". You need to do a Get Info on the Zotero folder in Finder, unlock it at the bottom, click your name, select "Make [me] the owner" from the menu, set it so that your user account has "Read & Write" privileges, and then select "Apply to enclosed items…".
  • I cannot press the "make me the owner" button, do you know what the reason might be? or how I can get help with it?
  • You need to unlock in the bottom right first.
  • I did so, but I can still not press the button to make me the owner, it is there but in a light grey and not something I can press
  • edited 29 days ago
    Can you set yourself to "Read & Write" and then select "Apply to selected items…"?

(But how did these files get on this computer? If someone did this for you, you should really get them to help you, since they did this incorrectly. If you actually used Migration Assistant, it would be very surprising that the files ended up like this. We really can't provide general OS usage guidance here.)
  • I have tried what you say here, I have downloaded the program from your website, onto my computer.
  • If you can't manage to do it via Get Info, you can also go back to Terminal and run this:

sudo chown -R sofie:staff ~/Zotero

You'll need to type your password, which won't appear on screen as you type it. But that should fix this folder. Anything else copied at the same time back in February might be similarly broken, though.
  • edited 29 days ago
    I have tried what you say here, I have downloaded the program from your website, onto my computer.
    I'm not sure what you mean by that. Again, this has nothing to do with just downloading the program. You can see the dates on these files — they're from February 7th. Whoever or whatever copied them to this computer did so incorrectly. It doesn't have anything to do with Zotero itself.
  • It works now, thank you!!!