I can't see any of the references I have

This discussion was created from comments split from: Library not showing on zotero.com.
  • Hi,

I am facing the same problem described here. Though I have installed Zotero on my new PC, logged in, and turned sync on, my library is empty, and I can't see any of the references I have.

Any assistance is much appreciated!
  • All the items in your online library have been deleted, most in the last week.

That wouldn't have happened just from syncing a new installation of Zotero. It would happen if you went into the Reset pane of the Sync preferences and did a Replace Online Library — that would, as it says, replace your online library with the empty local library.

If you did that, you would need to do the same from another computer where your library actually exists (possibly by disabling your internet connection before opening Zotero to keep it from auto-syncing).

https://www.zotero.org/support/zotero_data#restoring_your_zotero_data_from_a_backup_and_overwriting_synced_changes
  • Okay, thanks!

But to make it clear, last week, I mistakenly replaced the online library on the new PC, which deleted my library. Then, following the procedures for automatic backups, I managed to restore the information on the old PC, though I lost the attached files. Now, I can see the information on my old PC, but it doesn't show up on the new one.
  • edited 23 days ago
    Well you need to do Replace Online Online again after restoring from the backup. That's covered in the instructions linked above.

And yes, this won't help with attachments, but there's a chance we can relink those online for you once you've restored your data.
  • I appreciate your effort to clarify.

Here's the thing: I tried to follow the procedure above, but in the Zotero file on my old computer, there is no folder named "Show Data Directory." Instead, those SQLite files are in the main folder. So, I don't know whether I should rename the main folder or just the individual files.

Again, previously (last week), I had renamed the SQLite files when restoring my library. I don't know how that affects the restoring process now.

No other simple procedure, please?
  • there is no folder named "Show Data Directory."
    I'm not sure what you mean by that. "Show Data Directory" is just a button in Zotero that opens the folder.

But I think you're overthinking this. It sounds like you followed most of the instructions already and see your data locally. So you just need to run Replace Online Library to replace the online library with that restored version. Otherwise if you just synced it would just re-delete your local library.

• Thank you so much for your assistance; it worked!

Your help was super helpful and I really appreciate it.