Second account and reverse syncing?

Hello!
I had first installed version 1.0 and then upgraded to 2.0 on my work (a university) computer before realizing that I should register. I tried registering, and Zotero would not accept my email address.
Then I registered via my home computer and downloaded Zotero there. I had no problem registering there and no problem syncing my home library into my work library. I can't seem to do the reverse, though.
Are the two problems (the inability to register and the inability to reverse sync) related? How do I solve them? Thanks!!!
  • it's unlikely that the problems are related.
    When you say "I can't seem to do the reverse, though", what exactly does that mean? Do you get an error, do you get an endless loop?
    Be as precise and detailed as possible in terms of what you have done so far and what types of problems you experience.
  • Thanks, Adam!
    When I use Zotero on my workplace computer, I can't get the items I had loaded there prior to setting up my home account to go into the library of my home account. I have the syncing feature set on automatic, but that didn't add my older items to my newer library. Nothing happened. I also tried adding a new item via my workplace computer, and that didn't go into my home library either. Again, nothing happened--no message, no loop, etc. The ones I add from home make it into my workplace library perfectly, though.
    As for the inability to register via my workplace computer, upon submitting the registration form I got the message that my email address was unavailable. What would be the cause of that? I don't remember the earlier version having required accounts, but I had loaded the earlier version of Zotero at least a year and a half ago. I hope this information helps. Thanks again!
  • Have you tried manual syncing by clicking on the green round arrow on the top right?
    Something should happen.
  • "As for the inability to register via my workplace computer, upon submitting the registration form I got the message that my email address was unavailable. What would be the cause of that?"

For a few days our filter to prevent spam registrations was a bit overzealous and rejected a few legitimate email addresses. I suspect you ran into that on your work computer and we had fixed it by the time you tried on your home computer. In any case this is unrelated to your current problem.
  • Thanks!
    I tried registering again on my work computer after having tried on my home computer, and it still gave me that error message. In fact I sent my forum post directly after my last attempt.
    I tried manual syncing on my workplace computer, by the way. I chose an item from the workplace library and clicked the green arrow. The arrow spun around and eventually stopped spinning. Then I went into my account and checked my home library. The item was still not there. I just checked again when I logged on to write this post. The item is still not there. Thanks again!
  • You only need to register one account on zotero.org, then put that account information in each client you want to sync with under preferences > sync. If you try to register on the website a second time with the same email address, it will correctly give you an error message.
  • edited February 26, 2010
    Thanks!
    My account is based on my home email, and the one I can't seem to set up was an attempt with my work email. Could I have set one up way back and not remembered? If so, how would I reset?
    I would still like to get the items from my workplace library into my home library, though. Manual syncing still doesn't work, though I have unchecked the automatic sync box. I choose an item and click the green arrow. Nothing. Is there anything else I can try short of having to add everything from home? Thanks again!
  • Hello again!
    I still don't know what to try next. Thank you very much.
  • Upgrade to 2.0.2. Sync.
  • Thanks, Dan!
    How do I do that? This may seem like a silly question, but I'm mostly used to the very basics (adding items to a library, creating a collection, etc.). Also, I may have to teach people about Zotero, and I may have to address such questions myself.
  • Thanks, Dan!
    I had upgraded to 2.0 prior to this whole mess, but I did so again. Now I'm trying to sync, and I get the message "Upload accepted--waiting for sync server." The green arrow keeps spinning, and I still don't see the item in my new library.
    What do I try now? Thanks!
  • Hello again!
    Here the story gets stranger. I reset my password for my original (university) account and went into the web version under that password. There is nothing in my library for that account, despite the fact that I have a huge library when I pull up the toolbar on the bottom of the screen on my work computer. All this time I'd thought that those items listed in the toolbar version were my library for that account. Now I'm really confused!
    I want to put some of those items from the library on the toolbar version into my web library for my newest account. Per your suggestions I have upgraded yet again and tried the manual syncing. The green arrow keeps spinning, and I get the message "Getting updated data from sync server." Then I get the "Upload accepted" message again. Still the item doesn't appear in my library.
    Is there someone I can call? Thanks again!
  • Oops!
    There is stuff in my library now after all. In fact, everything is there, though I had unchecked automatic sync. Maybe this was a matter of looking down far enough on the screen. If so, my deepest apologies!!!