Feedback and Concerns Regarding Frequent Updates and Functionality Issues with Zotero 7.2 and 7.3

Dear Zotero Team,

I am writing to express my concerns and frustrations regarding the recent frequent updates to Zotero, particularly the transition from version 7.2 to 7.3 within a very short span of time. While I understand the importance of software updates for adding new features and fixing bugs, the rapid release of new versions has significantly impacted my productivity and workflow.

I have encountered persistent issues with the citation functionality, which is crucial to my research work. Despite following the official troubleshooting steps provided on your website, I have been unable to resolve these issues in both versions 7.2 and 7.3. This situation has resulted in a considerable waste of time, and I am currently unable to utilize the software as intended for my scholarly writing.

Moreover, the compulsory nature of these updates is a major concern. I believe that users should have the autonomy to choose whether or not to update their software, especially when new versions might introduce changes that can disrupt their established workflows. The current approach feels overly authoritative and disregards user preferences and needs.

I respectfully urge the Zotero team to consider implementing a more user-centric update policy, allowing users to opt-in for updates at their convenience. Additionally, it would be greatly appreciated if more stable versions could be released, ensuring that essential functions like citation remain reliable through updates.

I am eager to continue using Zotero, which I have found invaluable for managing references and citations in my research. However, the recent experiences have been disheartening. I hope for a constructive response from your team, addressing these issues and considering the feedback from your user community.

Thank you for your attention to this matter.
  • There is no version 7.2 or 7.3 of Zotero, but if you're using any version 7 of Zotero, you're using the beta version, which by its very nature comes with very frequent updates. The stable version of Zotero hasn't been updated in about a month and all updates of the stable version since last September have been minimal compatibility or security updates, most of them only for Mac: https://www.zotero.org/support/changelog

If you landed on the beta branch by accident, we can tell you how to revert to the stable release, just let us know.

(and please just ask for help when you run into problems -- especially since basically every factual statement in your post is incorrect, your tone is rather uncalled for)

• 7.0.0-beta.73+398454f85 (64-bit) this one 。i want get the 7.0.0-beta.68 and Keep Not Updated
  • You shouldn't be using a beta at all if you're posting like this — you seem totally confused about the purpose of a beta. Use Zotero 6 and wait for the stable version of Zotero 7.
  • It's important for me to clarify that I did not choose to update Zotero; rather, the software was updated automatically, leaving me to navigate the ensuing complications without prior consent or warning.
  • Again, you installed beta software. Do you understand that? The whole point of the beta is that it updates constantly as we make changes so that we can get feedback quickly and get the software ready for a production release to all Zotero users. If you don't want frequent updates, can't deal with occasional disruptions, and aren't willing to report bugs that you find, you should not be using beta software.

If you installed the beta version by mistake, you should reinstall Zotero 6, the stable version, from the download page.

But since you don't seem to understand what beta software is, we won't be helping you further here as long as you're using the beta.
  • Maybe a stronger warning would be useful on https://www.zotero.org/support/beta_builds ?
  • I agree all dstillman said. However, it's too long to wait the stable version of Zotero 7. What's more, Zotero 7 beta loads significantly faster compared to Zotero 6, providing a better reading experience. For example, when opening large files, Zotero 6 may freeze. Maybe it would be better to publish versions such as beta 54 or beta 68 as the stable ones.
  • @Aaron.Lee,I totally agree with you.
  • edited April 11, 2024
    It will take however long it takes to stabilize Zotero 7, and as far as I am concerned whoever needs a totally stable version should clearly use Zotero 6 for the moment. Zotero 7 beta is called "beta" for a good reason, no one should rely on it for their most important work. In a beta, users are working for the benefit of developers as much as (and perhaps more than) for their own objectives. If someone doesn't agree, they should not be a beta tester.

However, I feel that the features of Zotero 7 are still evolving somewhat, and I hope this will stop sooner rather than later. I really hope we'll soon reach a stage where the only remaining goal is to fix the last serious bugs, after which everybody will be able to confidently switch to the official Zotero 7 release. I'm sure it will make user support easier for Zotero and plugin developers alike.
  • Yes, we're mostly done with feature changes. The reason beta 69 broke so many things and required plugins to be updated is because it included a major upgrade of the underlying Mozilla platform to get us on the current Firefox Extended Support Release. It also included a major new API for plugin developers to allow them to create sections in the new item pane without introducing lots of instability. Those were both prerequisites for a Zotero 7 release.

We'll still be tweaking things and merging work that's been in the review queue, but the primary focus now is fixing new bugs from the platform update and getting Z7 out the door.