Zotero not recognizing references after track changes

I am preparing a manuscript revision and I have to track the changes and also update the references. After the track changes started it will no longer update the bibliography, it basically does not see any references. Even if I accept all the changes (which defeats the purpose since I have to report them to the journal) it still does not work. I can figure out no way to rectify this except accepting the changes, which is the only way to turn off track changes in the new word, and then re-referencing the entire document and then hand annotating all the changes, which will take me 4 hours. I cannot see any workflow for scientific revisions where having Zotero incompatible with track changes works. Any ideas are welcome!
  • After the track changes started it will no longer update the bibliography, it basically does not see any references. Even if I accept all the changes (which defeats the purpose since I have to report them to the journal) it still does not work.
    There seems to be some misunderstanding here. If after accepting all changes something doesn't work, there's just a general issue in your document, and it seems like maybe you are describing a document with Existing Citations Not Being Detected.

Depending on your OS and version of Word, Zotero will try its best and mostly work with track changes. We generally do not recommend people to mix Track Changes with Zotero, because it makes it more likely for insertion and update issues to appear, but if you make sure that Zotero citations do not appear in any of the tracked changes (while the Zotero plugin itself will not track citation inserts and updates), it should work fine.