File Not Found error

Good afternoon,

We are currently sharing a Zotero library within the same company and since a few weeks now, we experienced too often this error message.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/zotero.org/images/forums/u10695317/e6lustjemqrnfwjw5ciy.png

For example, I upload an article and even after syncing (+ 30 min to be sure), my colleagues cannot open this PDF.

Is there something we are missing here that generates this issue ?

Thank you in advance !

• See Files Not Syncing. That's not an item that you added, and it's not in the online library, so the problem isn't on your computer.
  • edited April 1, 2024
    Thank you Dstillman !
    Sadly, we didn't had this issue about a month ago. Any idea what could create these sync issues we face now ?

• The person who added the file will need to follow the steps on the linked page. Again, it has nothing to do with you or your computer.
  • To be clear, nearly all of the thousands of files you yourself added have been uploaded. There are only about 30 that weren't from one day last year (which were also named in a weird way, so it was likely something about how or where you added those files).

So the people actually experiencing this problem — not you — will need to debug it using the linked steps and provide the requested info if they're still having trouble.
  • I did upload a single file tonight and my colleagues had to wait up to 10 min to have it on their own computers. It took ~8 min to be upload online. Much slower than what we were used to but with the proper procedure it works properly.

We will debug the few folks still having issues and learn patience. I will locate and curate the 30 ish problematic papers ASAP.

Thanks for the quick feedback and help !
  • edited April 1, 2024
    No, this is almost certainly some sort of misunderstanding. Files upload when you sync — which you can see happening with the spinning icon — and they're available to others immediately.

There's no point in vague statements like "Much slower than what we were used", there's no need to "learn patience", and I don't know what you mean by "with the proper procedure it works properly". You literally just add a file and, if you have auto-sync enabled, it should sync automatically within a few seconds. That should just work, and if it's not, the people experiencing the problem will need to follow the debugging instructions and provide the info we request for us to investigate further.