Adding papers without drag and drop

As it stands, the only way I know to add new files to zotero is to drag and drop the files into the app. However, I have frequently come across an issue with this functionality where when the folder is full on the screen, there is no way to add new files without accidentally adding them to other items. It would be useful to have a way to import files with the ability to scrape metadata like with the drag-drop but through the menu.
  • edited March 26, 2024
    If you do not wish to add the PDF to an existing item, the method is to drop it *between* (any) existing items. Zotero will show a a thin line if your mouse cursor is between items when you are about to drop (as opposed to highlighting an item if your mouse cursor is over that item). After adding the new PDF, Zotero will then sort it appropriately in the main display pane.
    https://www.zotero.org/support/adding_items_to_zotero#adding_pdfs_and_other_files
  • There's also a toolbar function ("Add File" in Zotero 7, I think "Add stored copy of file" in 6?) that does the same as drag & drop.
  • Another option is to drag the files into the folders where they will belong to.