Exporting and reimporting library

I am one of those people who uses several computers (and mostly portable apps with zotero installed). I am looking forward to the remote back-up function that has been planned, though in the meantime I am stuck exporting my library from one browser into another one - the problem is that when I do so, the way my library is organised (within subfolders) is lost - in other words the whole collection is put into the 'Imported on . . .) folder.

Is there any way around this? Keeping one browser fully up to date is OK, though when that copy was corrupted and I had to reinstall . . . now I have some serious sorting to do!
  • For the time being you might try copying the Zotero folder in your Firefox profile. You can then replace the Zotero folder on the next machine with this one. The Zotero folder is:

On a Mac:
    /Users//Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles//zotero

On Windows:
    C:\Documents and Settings\\ApplicationData\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\\zotero

If you bring that file with you should retain the folder structure of your collection.
  • Can't find the 'zotero' folder on my Ubuntu box. Found it OK on my windows portable apps version, but I need to share between Ubuntu and Windows, otherwise I'm kind of stuck.

Any ideas?
  • You can put the Zotero folder anywhere you want via the zotero prefs -> Advanced tab (I have mine in $HOME/.zotero).

The default location will be $HOME//.mozilla/firefox/[profile folder]/zotero.