Errors in Art History style sheet

Hi,

I am very happy to see the Art History style sheet in the Zotero repository. Unfortunately, there are several errors in the style sheet and I would be immensely grateful if someone could help rectify them.

The Art History style guidelines are as follows:

BOOKS: Author’s Name, Title of Book, Place of Publication, Date of Publication.
EDITED BOOKS: Editor’s Name, ed., Title of Book, Place of Publication, Date of Publication.
ESSAYS IN JOURNALS: Author’s Name, ‘Title of Essay’, Title of Journal, Volume Number: Issue Number, Date of Publication, Page Numbers.
ESSAYS IN BOOKS: Author’s Name, ‘Title of Essay’, in Title of Book, ed. Editor’s Name, Place of Publication, Date of Publication, Page Numbers.

The Art History style sheet + examples for emulation are available here: https://arthistoryjournal.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/Art-History-Style-Sheet.pdf

In order to detail on the errors I have detected, I provide specific examples below.

BOOK: Linda Nochlin, The politics of vision: Essays on nineteenth-century art and society, New York, 1989.
[capital letters in the title missing]
SHOULD BE: Linda Nochlin, The Politics of Vision: Essays on Nineteenth-Century Art and Society, New York, 1989.

BOOK SHORT FORM: Nochlin, The politics of vision.
SHOULD BE: Nochlin, The Politics of Vision.

EDITED BOOK: Charlotte Ashby, Grace Brockington, Daniel Laqua, and Sarah Victoria Turner, eds, Imagined cosmopolis. Internationalism and cultural exchange, 1870s-1920s, Oxford & New York, 2019.
SHOULD BE: Charlotte Ashby, Grace Brockington, Daniel Laqua, and Sarah Victoria Turner, eds, Imagined Cosmopolis. Internationalism and Cultural Exchange, 1870s-1920s, Oxford & New York, 2019.

EDITED BOOK SHORT FORM: Ashby, Brockington, Laqua, and Turner, eds, Imagined cosmopolis.
["eds" should not be repeated in the short form; capital letter in the title missing]
SHOULD BE: Ashby, Brockington, Laqua, and Turner, Imagined Cosmopolis.

ESSAY IN JOURNAL: Janet Wolff, ‘The Invisible Flâneuse: Women and the Literature of Modernity’, Theory, Culture & Society, 2: 3, November 1985, 37–46.
[title of journal should be in italics]
SHOULD BE: Janet Wolff, ‘The Invisible Flâneuse: Women and the Literature of Modernity’, Theory, Culture & Society, 2: 3, November 1985, 37–46.

ESSAY IN BOOK: Oskar Bätschmann, ‘A Guide to Interpretation: Art Historical Hermeneutics’, Minneapolis, Compelling visuality: The work of art in and out of history, 2003, 179–210.
[title of the book should be in italics; editors names are missing; information on place of publication should come after name of editors]
SHOULD BE: Oskar Bätschmann, ‘A Guide to Interpretation: Art Historical Hermeneutics’, in Compelling visuality: The work of art in and out of history, ed. Claire Farago and Robert Zwijnenberg, Minneapolis, 2003, 179–210.

ESSAY IN BOOK SHORT FORM: Bätschmann, ‘A Guide to Interpretation: Art Historical Hermeneutics’.
[the essay's subtitle should not be included in the short form]
SHOULD BE: Bätschmann, ‘A Guide to Interpretation’.

Many thanks.

/Jessica
  • Thank you for the detailed and complete error post. If only all the other posts were like yours!!

Regarding your last issue (essay in book short form): Make sure you have the title-short field filled in in Zotero, otherwise it just falls back to the full title.

New style:
    https://github.com/citation-style-language/styles/raw/70105567863052d2b02544b242dc818d047d0f89/art-history.csl
  • Thank you ever so much for helping me out, I am truly grateful!! This saved me a lot of trouble.

I have worked with the new style for c. a week now and noticed that there are a few more issues. If you would be able to help me rectify these too, I would appreciate it very much.

ESSAY IN BOOK: Paula Birnbaum, ‘Modern Madonnas and Working Mothers’, Essays on women’s artistic and cultural contributions 1919-1939: Expanded social roles for the new woman following the First World War , ed. P. Birnbaum and A. Novakov, Lewiston, N.Y, 2009, 83–95.
    [editors' first names should be spelled out]
    SHOULD BE: Paula Birnbaum, ‘Modern Madonnas and Working Mothers’, Essays on women’s artistic and cultural contributions 1919-1939: Expanded social roles for the new woman following the First World War, ed. Paula Birnbaum and Anna Novakov, Lewiston, N.Y, 2009, 83–95.

ARTICLE IN DAILY PAPER: Yngve Berg, ‘Konstkrönika’, Dagens Nyheter, November 1945.
    [exact date should be given]
    SHOULD BE: Yngve Berg, ‘Konstkrönika’, Dagens Nyheter, 8 November 1945.

LETTER (ARCHIVAL MATERIAL): Axel Törneman, May 1901.
    [name of recipient missing; exact date should be given; information on place/volume in archive missing; name of archive missing]
    SHOULD BE: Axel Törneman to Johan Algot Georg Törneman, 21 May 1901, Törnemans samling, vol. 4, Kungliga Biblioteket, Stockholm.

Many many thanks again!

Best wishes,
    Jessica
  • Hi,

While I fixed the issue for book chapters, I don't see those other item types (letter and newspaper) anywhere explained in the guidelines.

https://github.com/citation-style-language/styles/raw/79c9539b60e2bd0c8aeea853d26f5e932de77845/art-history.csl
  • Hi,

Thank ever so much for swiftly fixing the issue with the book chapters.

And yes, it's true that there is no mention of letters and articles in daily papers in the guidelines, but since essential information is missing when referencing these items (probably just a mistake by the person who first set up the style), I thought it could be a good idea to fix it even though the guidelines don't mention this explicitly.

Many many thanks for your invaluable help!

/Jessica
  • Did you find any examples in a paper by the journal?
  • Good point, thanks, I did not think of checking for examples in the journal.

Below are some recent references that show, I think, that what I suggested above would be a correct way of setting up the style for articles in daily papers and letters in archives.

It seems that the inclusion of the word "letter" in the reference to correspondence varies. I would prefer it if it was not included so that the "letter reference" can also be used for e.g. postcards and letter cards (strictly speaking they are not letters but belong to the latter category in this context).

ARTICLE IN DAILY PAPER: Thomas P. Ronan, ‘Rockefeller Acts to Expand Rights: He Submits 11 Proposals to Legislature for Laws’, New York Times, 11 April 1968.

LETTER (ARCHIVAL MATERIAL): Iqbal Geoffrey Letter to Elizabeth Glaeser, 22 June 1968, Asian Cultural Council Records, Grants, RG5 (FA1403), Box 838, Folder 4, Rockefeller Archive Center.
    OR
    William Strang to William Rothenstein, 13 January 1906, William Rothenstein papers, Houghton Library Harvard, bMSeng1148.
    [BOTH EXAMPLES GIVE THE INFORMATION IN THIS ORDER: author of the letter; recipient; date; place in archive; name of archival institution]

LETTER (ARCHIVAL MATERIAL), SHORT FORM: Iqbal Geoffrey Letter to Elizabeth Glaeser, 22 June 1968.

The above references are from endnotes 1, 3 and 74 in an article published in Art History in 2022, doi: https://doi.org/10.1111/1467-8365.12680 and from endnote 75 in an article published in 2020, doi: https://doi.org/10.1111/1467-8365.12519

Again, thank you ever so much!!