Zotero pdf tool question - documents with side by side columns

Hello everyone!

I'm currently trying out Zotero's new (to me) pdf note taking tool.

I'm absolutely enjoying it so far, but I'm running into an issue when trying to highlight paragraphs from Canadian court cases.

Here is an exemple of a pdf I'm having problems with: https://www.canlii.org/fr/ca/csc/doc/2000/2000csc1/2000csc1.pdf

Because of the bilingualism at the Supreme Court of Canada, all decisions are published simulatenously in french and english, printed side by side in two columns.

However, when I try highlighting a paragraph, the highlighter will continue across the gap between the columns and highlight both columns, instead of just the french or english column.

This makes taking notes somewhat challenging, as I either have to make an individual note for each line of a paragraph, or a single note which will have every lined sequentially repeated in french and english.

I don't know that this is a problem that can be solved, but I thought I would ask people smarter than I to see if anyone had any ideas.
  • The PDF file text layer is broken. It happens with all readers that I tested including Acrobat Reader and Preview.app.