Zotero stuck on "Zotero is updating your document. Please wait…" when used with Google Docs

edited March 11, 2024
Hi,

Zotero is stuck on "Zotero is updating your document. Please wait…" when used with Google Docs, and the red bar that lets me search for citations to add appears as a fully red bar, never making the white search field available. See attached screenshots.

This nearly always happens. On the very rare occasion where the white bar does appear to let me search for a citation, I press enter, and then the bar turns fully red and the citation never inserted into my document, with the document staying greyed out with the message "Zotero is updating your document. Please wait…".

It used to work, as recently as a month ago.

Things I have tried so far:
1. Restarting Zotero, my Browser (safari) and my computer
2. Disabling and re-enabling the Zotero Safari extension
3. Logging out of the google account, triggering me to authorize the extension for the google account
4. Disabling all Zotero Extensions

Debug ID: D1392853721

https://s3.amazonaws.com/zotero.org/images/forums/u4240355/inyptozeoscyoown2spt.png
https://s3.amazonaws.com/zotero.org/images/forums/u4240355/bjnb57m42hz95tb7pgcy.png
  • Google made some changes to Google Docs recently that have made citing less reliable. We've been working to fix these problems, and they seem to be resolved for most people, but there might be some lingering issues for some people.

You can try the Zotero Connector beta (5.0.121beta2) for Firefox, which has the latest version of the Google Docs plugin, to see if that works any better for you.
  • Hi there, thanks!

Do we know if this seems to also be resolved for most people running Safari? I'm wondering if this is an issue affecting many people with my setup, or if there's something uniquely broken with my setup.

Also, do we know when an update will be pushed for Safari's web connector (eg, similar to the one you linked to on Firefox?).

Thanks again for your help!
  • Dan, any updates on these questions? Thanks for your help!
  • Have you tried updating to the latest beta of the Zotero Connector? We have released an update that should fix it. You might need to manually check for updates in Firefox addons page, and refresh Google Docs.
  • I am using Safari. Dan mentioned this issue "seems to be resolved for most people".

Per my questions, I am wondering if this issue is known to persist for people running Safari, or if I should interpret his comment to mean that it is only resolved when one using Firefox+the beta update.

Thanks for your help :)
  • We are still ironing out some issues and have what is we think the final version in Firefox, which we will deploy to all platforms once deemed fully working. Unfortunately the Firefox Beta is scarcely used in Google Docs, so we have limited testing besides internal team before releasing the update to everyone, without being able to know if the issue is fully resolved. If you want to help us out with that, you can try the Beta version and let us know if you run into any other issues. Otherwise you will have to wait until we release something for the stable versions of Zotero.
  • That makes sense! Thank you for the answer, and for the work you do for Zotero! :)