MacWord Integration: Report ID 1936168654

Using:

Firefox 3.6
Zotero: 2.0
Word 2004, 11.3.8
OSX 10.5.8
MacWord Integration 3.0a8
Python Ext 2.6.2

I downloaded MacWord Integration and Python extensions from installation page, restarted Firefox. Opened Word and no toolbar appeared. Went through steps listed under "Component Loading Error" on this page:

http://tinyurl.com/yfqaa6y

Still no joy. Tried Tools --> Add Ons --> Extensions --> Zotero MacWord Integration --> Preferences --> Reinstall Word Components. Got the following message:

Zotero MacWord Integration could not be installed because an error occurred:

cp:/Applications/Microsoft Office 2004/Office/Startup/Word/Zotero.dot: Permission Denied

There is a Zotero folder in this location, but still no toolbar on Word startup.
  • If you're using a non-admin user account, you'll need to manually copy Zotero.dot into place. I've updated the troubleshooting instructions accordingly.
  • edited February 18, 2010
    Thanks for the quick response. I followed those instructions, but still no toolbar upon opening Word.

Could this be a version compatibility problem? I was able to install it with no fuss on another machine, running:

Firefox 3.5.7
    Mac OSX 10.5.8
    Zotero 2.0rc5
  • Oh, there was an error in the instructions. Copy into "Word" within "Startup", not just "Startup". Then restart Word.
  • Yes I figured that. Tried both; neither worked.
  • In Word, check for Zotero.dot in Tools->Templates and Add-ins, and check the Startup path.

Also check View->Toolbars.
  • Doesn't appear in either.
  • What's the listed Startup path?
  • Sorry to be thick, but not sure how to find that. Documentation on the web seems to pertain to Windows.
  • It's listed in Tools->Templates and Add-ins.
  • Full path:

Macintosh HD:Applications:Microsoft Office 2004: Office.Startup:Word:PDFMaker.dot
  • Actually, copying Zotero.dot manually probably wouldn't work (due to a pointless, archaic restriction regarding template files on Word's part). We can probably adjust the installation script to make the necessary changes to the version of the .dot file in the extension directory so that manual copying will still work, but in the meantime I've updated the troubleshooting page with alternative instructions.
  • Thanks very much for your help, I'll give those a go. All of this works fine on my laptop, which is where I primarily use Zotero. I've actually been considering switching to NeoOffice as Word 2004 is getting a bit clunky, so maybe now would be the time.
  • Mac 10.6, FireFox 3.6, Microsoft Office 2004

I just downloaded, and "find updates" confirms, that I have the most recent versions of PythonExt: 2.6.2.20100203
    Zotero: 2.0
    Zotero MacWord Integration: 3.0a8

Firefox has the Zotero toolbar and I can see all my references.
    Word has the Zotero toobar

But when I try to insert a reference in a Word document, I get the well known error message:
    "This version of the Zotero word processor plugin (1.0b3) is incompatible with the currently installed version of the zotero firefox extension(2.0). Please ensureā€¦"

The Mac has been restarted since these updates.