[Zotero 7 Beta.65] "Add/Edit citation" for Microsoft Word is invalid for quick format dialog

I am currently using Zotero version 7.0.0-beta.65+b047f3d90 (64-bit), and I've encountered an issue with the quick format dialog for Microsoft Word. It's not displaying correctly, as shown in both my screenshot and the one provided in the following URL: https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/comment/457202#Comment_457202

While I am still able to type and search for items in my library, and even insert citations into Word documents by pressing "enter," I've noticed that the contents in the search box are not visible as they typically are.

Interestingly, the classic view dialog is functioning correctly. Additionally, on my other two laptops (both running version 7.0.0-beta.65+b047f3d90 (64-bit)), the quick format citation dialog and classic view dialog are working correctly.

I've attempted to resolve this issue by disabling all of my add-ons and replacing the "Zotero.dotm" file in the STARTUP folder of Microsoft Word with the newest one provided on the Zotero official website, but unfortunately, these measures haven't resolved the problem.

I'm uncertain about how to proceed in resolving this issue. If you could offer any assistance or suggestions, I would be extremely grateful. Thank you very much for your time and attention!
https://s3.amazonaws.com/zotero.org/images/forums/u8609509/f8rmf60mjcq3xhmr2ly9.png
  • Note that you are running Windows 8 which is no longer officially supported by Microsoft for quite a while, so this may be partially at fault and we may be unable to help you.

If you put your mouse over the Zotero item in the Windows menu bar, then over the Quick Citation Dialog item, does it get highlighted on your screen? If not, can you right click over that item and select "Move", then try to move the window into the view with arrow keys or mouse?
  • Thanks for your reply!
    Now I'm running Win11 Insider Preview on my desktop. (By the way, Win11 22H2 on my laptop)

I followed your suggestions, but unfortunately, I haven't been able to resolve it. Specifically, the Quick Citation Dialog Item appears highlighted on my screen, but in an incomplete style, as I mentioned previously.

I attempted to move it using the arrow keys, and it seems that the system recognizes the Quick Citation Dialog Item box, as indicated by the black box shown in the screenshots. However, I still cannot relocate it into my view.

I truly appreciate your ongoing support and assistance with this matter. If you have any further suggestions or recommendations, I would be extremely grateful. Thank you once again for your time and attention to this issue.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/zotero.org/images/forums/u8609509/yh780rtbor2y6yu84wi5.png
  • Are you seeing this across multiple machines? Are you using any custom window styling in Windows OS, or some other user preferences that change the look of windows? If you create a new temporary Windows user account do you see this issue?
  • @qieur Have you been able to test this more? We are unable to reproduce and thus fix this issue.
  • Thank you very much for your prompt response!

I don't use any custom window styling in Windows OS or other user preferences.

Also, I tried to create a new temporary Windows user account and found the same issue existed.

At this point, I've decided to await the release of a new update of Zotero beta version or the Windows OS, hoping that it might address this issue. I'll be sure to keep you informed of any developments in this discussion. Thank you!
  • What is the refresh rate of your screen?
  • @poettli

I have three monitors, each with different refresh rates. Two of them operate at 60Hz, while the third one runs at 165Hz.
  • This is currently caused by any monitor running at a refresh rate of over 60Hz. We are working on a fix and will update you once it's out.

• After following the steps below, I successfully resolved the issue:

1) I adjusted the refresh rate of all my monitors to 60Hz.

2) Despite this change, the Quick Citation Dialog in Zotero 7 still didn't function correctly upon rechecking.

3) To determine if the issue stemmed from the Windows OS preview version, I uninstalled Zotero 7 and installed Zotero 6. And I found the Quick Citation Dialog worked properly with Zotero 6.

4) And then, I uninstalled Zotero 6 and reinstalled the latest version of Zotero 7. Surprisingly, the Quick Citation Dialog now functioned properly with Zotero 7.

I think after changing the refresh rate, a reinstallation is required. (Alternatively, a computer restart may also resolve the issue, but I'm uncertain.)

In any case, I am grateful for everyone's contributions in resolving my problem!
  • You need to restart Zotero after changing all monitors to 60 Hz. Sorry, should have included that in my original comment.
  • Got it, thank you very much!
  • We have released an update for the Zotero Beta that contains a potential fix for the issue. Could you test it and see if it works with higher refresh rates?
  • 'Unfortunately, I'm experiencing this issue as well in the latest version of Zotero.
  • Could you support a Report ID?
    By this issue do you mean that if you set all your monitors to a refresh rate of 60Hz the Zotero citation dialog appears, but if one of the screens runs with a higher refresh rate the citation dialog does not appear?