[zotero 7 beta] many pdf's aren't opening

edited March 3, 2024
Thanks for the beautiful Zotero 7!

Although a small hick-up occured: a lot of pdf's won't open, mostly large files (textbooks), all stored in zotero.
When I right-click and choose 'show file', the pdf is still there and it can be opened in the regular pdf viewer.
When I copy that same file to my pc, discard the pdf in Zotero (I moved the pdf to the trash, but not the parent item) and add the copied file again to the same item, I can read it again in Zotero.
By doing this, all highlights and anotations are obviously lost.

All add-ons are disabled, zotero has been synced and rebooted a few times.
Syncing generated an error-report, which I sent to you, number 253234440, but I doubt this covers this issue.

Hopefully there is a way to fix this.

Otherwise, I love the new zotero. It looks great and is easy to use.

Thanks you!
  • Have you tried opening the PDFs with all other Zotero add-ons disabled? A couple of them are not compatible and may cause problems
  • all add-ons were disabled, indeed, and zotero rebooted and synced a few times already.
  • I think devs will want a debug ID for opening a PDF that fails to open: https://www.zotero.org/support/debug_output
  • @dxkrid: Along with a Debug ID, can you explain exactly what's happening? You say that you can open the file with Show File, but what exactly happens within Zotero?
  • I don't seem to be able to reproduce this issue.
    I've been working on my office-laptop for some time in the past week, I imagine its syncing will have resolved the issue (?).

I'll try to explain what happened:
    - zotero has all my pdf's stored in its library
    - several pdf's (all items with attachment) did show up as an attachment, but could not be opened
    - right click on the item in the library > Show file: it always worked, the file was present in the zotero library on my laptop, the file was not corrupted
    - I copied these files, using the file browser, to my laptop, in another location (desktop or downloads folder)
    - I removed the attachments from the items in zotero
    - I reattached the copied files from my desktop to the item (stored copy to zotero)
    - it worked several times.

But as I said, it's no longer necesary.

I'm very sorry for wasting your time...

thanks