How to merge several google docs (= into one Phd Thesis) and maintain the Zotero Hyperlinks

Hi, I have two questions: (1) I am finalizing my Ph.D. and have about 10 separate Google docs, each with in-text citations hyperlinked to my Zotero database. What is the best way to merge the documents without losing the hyperlinks into one final document and then create the entire thesis reference list? (2) When exporting as a PDF, how do I keep all the in-text Citations (APA7) clickable and linked to the Reference List at the end of the thesis?
  • (1) I am finalizing my Ph.D. and have about 10 separate Google docs, each with in-text citations hyperlinked to my Zotero database. What is the best way to merge the documents without losing the hyperlinks into one final document and then create the entire thesis reference list?
    Did you use the Zotero plugin to insert citations, or did you insert them yourself with item hyperlinks? If you used the plugin, then you need to simply copy and paste the contents of each document into the final one. Make sure you have the Zotero Connector installed into your browser. After each paste you should see a message that Zotero is working on your document. If you do not, submit a Report ID.

(2) When exporting as a PDF, how do I keep all the in-text Citations (APA7) clickable and linked to the Reference List at the end of the thesis?

The Zotero Google Docs plugin doesn't provide such functionality, and I'm not sure it's even possible with Google Docs.
  • hi Adomasven, thank you for the quick reply and the helpful information. I will use the Copy Method. About the PDF. I will investigate; maybe Adobe has such function.
  • Hello i have just tried the Copy method using Zotero Connector for some large files (10-20pg, 50-90 citations) and all of the files I add get unlinked even though i get the "zotero is working on your document" message for a long time. Help please!
  • If you press Zotero -> Refresh in the document you are copying from do you get any messages about citation being unlinked? If not, does copying work if you copy the document piecemeal, e.g. 5 pages at the time, instead of all at once?