[Zotero 7 Beta] Search a single letter in the PDF Reader is broken

edited February 28, 2024
Searching for a single letter in the PDF Reader is broken.
- Open the search, type a single letter, press Enter -> Nothing happens
- Make a search for more letters -> the search results are highlighted, then modify to a single letter by doing Ctrl+A and type the letter, press Enter -> It goes through the results of the previous search.

This was working at least in Zotero 6.0.30.
I would like to use the search in the PDF file to find the equations involving the force "F". In order to do that, I just search for F with matching case. I can then scroll through the PDF quickly to see where it appears in the equations.
Or to find where the pressure "P" is discussed in the paper, with "Whole words". It is working for "α", but not for "P".

Zotero 7.0.0-beta.64+8f8c0d079 (64-bit)
Windows 10

PS: I am getting an error when trying to insert screenshots (both Firefox and Chrome):
forums.zotero.org
There was an error processing your image
  • The single letter search was intentionally disabled for latin letters because of performance reasons. Single latin letter search gives too many results which is very rarely useful. So until we figure out a better solution we'll need to keep it as it is.
  • I understand that the search as you type behaviour can lead to performance issues for a single letter.
    But would it still be a problem to reactivate it when pressing Enter?
  • Sounds like a good solution. We'll see if this can be implemented.