Manually syncing specific folders

Hi,

I purged my personal online library to free up space. I'm not using those citations/ papers anymore therefore don't need them there. However, I wanted to keep them the way they are locally on my laptop and still be able to access everything there. I read in another discussion that purging the online library doesn't affect the locally saved files. Is that correct?
Now my second question is, is there a way to manually sync one folder (that I'm currently working with) to be able to access it from other devices?

Thank you for the help!
  • You can't sync specific collections, and you don't want to use the purge option if you're actually using file syncing in your personal library.

The point of file syncing is to make files accessible on all devices, so everything is always uploaded to the online library. You can choose to only download files on demand to each computer to save local disk space, but not the other way around.

In practice, once you've purged files online, older local files that haven't changed may not be automatically reuploaded right away, but that could happen at any time, so it's not something you should count on.

It is correct that purging storage online doesn't affect your local Zotero.
  • A mixture of Zotero-online-synced and unsynced attachments can only really be achieved by having the attachments you don't want synced saved as linked files (because Zotero does not sync those). You could just have the linked files on one computer; or you could sync them yourself across computers using a cloud-mirrored folder.
    https://www.zotero.org/support/attaching_files#linked_files