accessibility for screen readers in google doc

I am trying to add a reference in google doc using NVDA and jaws. However, after on the quick reference page after I start typing the reference name the screen reader gets quiet.
In summary, my issue is that the list of references on the quick reference page is not accessible with screen readers.
  • edited February 26, 2024
    This is a known issue regardless of word processor (as I understand it, this isn't an easy fix but hopefully high on the list of developers).
    As a workaround until this is fixed, you can opt to use the classical version of the add citation dialog in the Cite tab of the Zotero preferences -- that's not ideal, but reasonably accessible.
  • @lgnadolskis Zotero 7 will include an updated version of the citation dialog that will work much better with screen readers.
  • @adomasven is there a timeline for when zotero 7 will be relised? On that note, is there a beta version that maybe I could try?
  • edited February 26, 2024
    The Zotero 7 beta is here, but at least in my testing, the behavior of the add citation toolbar hasn't been updated yet (in NVDA, it still announces every listed item as "blank" and also has a hideous announcement with lots of unhelpful machine-intended language - Chrome//zotero/content/integration etc. - for the quick format bar itself)
  • We've just landed the accessibility overhaul of the citation dialog. It should now be fully usable via VoiceOver, NVDA, and JAWS, and keyboard accessibility is also now greatly improved.

@lgnadolskis, you can try it now in the latest Zotero 7 beta. It would be great to get your feedback.