Zotero app not opening on macOS Sonoma 14.3.1

I recently got a new Mac (personal) and transferred my information over from my windows laptop using migration assistant. Since starting to use this Mac, however, Zotero will not start. I have gone through all troubleshooting tips: I updated my system, I have updated permissions to "read and write" via "get info", have tried reinstalling the app more than three times - none of it is working.
I keep getting this message upon opening the app:

Error.
The Zotero database cannot be opened.

Make sure you have read and write permissions for all files in the Zotero data directory and that security software isn’t preventing Zotero from accessing that directory.

Data Directory: /Users/**/Zotero

I have been on the phone with apple support for the last half an hour and even they are confused. I am desperate!! I have been using this app to write my dissertation and all my sources are save on it.
  • edited February 26, 2024
    What exactly did they have you do via Get Info? The message really just means what it says, and the fix is to use Get Info on /Users/:username:/Zotero so that that folder and all files and folders within it are owned by your macOS user account.

If you're sure that your data and files are all online, you can also just move the Zotero folder to the trash and sync from an empty library to pull everything down from Zotero servers. That shouldn't be necessary, but it's a totally fine option.