PDF Annotations are Grouped Child Notes

I've moved annotations from a PDF document to child notes, but they appear as a group of notes, not individual, searchable, or insertable notes to a Word doc. When I attempt to insert a single annotation, all annotations insert.

I can edit annotations to the MLA citation style I need, and then copy/paste them into my doc, but that seems to defeat Zotero's purpose.

Is it possible to import annotations to child notes and have them appear/function separately as regular child notes do? Or would I need to copy/paste them to child notes individually to insert into a Word doc?
  • edited February 26, 2024
    When I attempt to insert a single annotation, all annotations insert.
    I'm not sure what you're referring to. You can either add individual annotations to a note or create a note from all of an item's annotations.

The current workflow would be to build up a note from annotations, write around those annotations as much as you want, and then add the note to your word processor document via the plugin. The plugin will create active Zotero citations in your document using the citation style you're using.

A future version of the word processor plugin will allow you to insert individual annotations into your document in addition to entire notes. It wouldn't make sense to create individual notes from individual annotations — that would just be duplicating data within the same database for no reason.