Sync Error (ID 40673739)

Both my machines are running rc5 and have been syncing successfully. But now one of the machines is reporting:

Search condition ids not contiguous in Zotero.Sync.Server.xmlToSearch()

I reported the error and the ID is 40673739

Perhaps this relates to recent changes I have made to saved searches?
  • I generated debut output: Debug ID is D1518354271

Everytime I try to sync, first a manual sync is triggered, and after that the above error occurs. So the debug output includes all the logging from the manual sync as well. But the relevant section, I think, begins near the bottom with the line, "Processing remotely changed searches".
  • Any leads on the sync issue I described above? I don't mean to be impatient, but at this point I can't really use Zotero on my work machine because it won't sync, so any advice would be appreciated.
  • Can you provide another Debug ID?
  • New Debug ID is D359347994. My comment above still applies (debug output includes logging of manual sync before the critical error occurs).
  • Although I now see that "Invalid saved search condition" occurs near the top. But I probably shouldn't be looking at it anyway since I don't actually know how to interpret it.
  • One of your saved searches (containing a "Collection" condition) is causing trouble. (This is related to the trouble you were having with the earlier RC.) Re-save it or delete it and try syncing again.
  • (Also, it doesn't matter for this, but for future reference: I'm not sure what you mean re: manual sync, but I suspect you're misinterpreting the message that says that an automatic sync required manual intervention and that you have to perform a manual sync. A "manual sync" just means clicking the sync icon manually.)
  • edited February 17, 2010
    Is there a way to figure out which saved search is causing trouble? I have dozens of saved searches, and many of them have "collection" or "saved search" conditions. I just tried deleting several, but that didn't help (and, in retrospect, it might have created new problems, because some of my saved searches are dependent on saved searches that have now been deleted). Seems like I'm going about this rather haphazardly.

So I guess solving the issue of creating permanent ID's ("keys") for collections didn't solve the issue of syncing saved searches?

Sorry for my confusing language re: manual sync. I meant to refer to manual intervention being required in an automatic sync.
  • edited February 17, 2010
    Is there a way to figure out which saved search is causing trouble?
    Judging by the debug output, the first letter is "z" and the last letter is "m" (though it's possible this will be a problem for you for more than one search).
    So I guess solving the issue of creating permanent ID's ("keys") for collections didn't solve the issue of syncing saved searches?
    It did, and under normal circumstances this should have been corrected automatically on upgrade, but you're among a handful of people for whom several factors conspired to cause this problem. It won't be an issue after you correct it.
  • After a bunch more deletions didn't solve the problem, I did a reset from the server, and now, I'm back in business. In the process, I cleared out a lot of old saved searches that had become corrupted. When I chose to edit the saved search you mentioned above, for instance, it no longer listed any conditions at all --- and there were several others like that. So I'm hoping that this spring cleaning will help prevent future problems.

I wonder, however, what happens when when one creates complex saved searches based on collections --- and then moves the relevant collections so that they become sub-collections of other collections... I'll have to try that out.
  • I wonder, however, what happens when when one creates complex saved searches based on collections --- and then moves the relevant collections so that they become sub-collections of other collections...
    It shouldn't make a difference.
  • I've started re-creating some of the saved searches that had become corrupted, and everything is working smoothly. In fact, sync operations seem to run much faster now. Perhaps this is just due to the fact that I have fewer search folders. Anyway, thanks for helping me sort that out.