Any issues with OO 3.2?

Now that OpenOffice.org 3.2 is out, I'm considering an upgrade.

Has anyone made the upgrade yet? How's that working for ya?

Aaron
  • I've made the switch (Windows XP, Firefox 3.6, Zotero dev builds) and it's fine. Search the forums if you're unsure, but I don't remember there being any issues specific to OO.org 3.2.

Notably, I find that 3.2 is much more responsive and pleasant to use than 3.1 had been.
  • I'm not having so much luck here. I've got Ubuntu 10.4 alpha, Firefox 3.6 and OO 3.2 rc4 and the latest Zotero plugins. Obviously any of these could be the problem! But the result is that, although the Zotero toolbar appears in OO, when I insert a citation it tells me ...

"Firefox could not load the component required to communicate with your word processor. Please ensure that the appropriate Firefox extension is installed and try again."

This isn't my main system - everything is working fine on Ubuntu 9.10 - but as soon as Zotero works for me I'll upgrade. Any advice appreciated!

Cheers
    Roger
  • roger - this seems likely to be at fault: http://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_troubleshooting#openoffice_component_loading_error
  • Thanks very much Adam. I'm afraid that's not it though, my system passes the Java tests listed there, and Java seems to be registered ok in OO options. Any other ideas? :-)
    Cheers
    Roger
  • Cut and paste the contents of your document into a new document and see if that does the trick. I have had to resort to this once or twice under similar circumstances. There is also a reload option for the OO interface; you might try that. In Firefox: Tools, Addons, Zotero Openoffice Integration, Options: Detect/Reinstall. I would try both.
  • Thanks mbruffey, I appreciate all the help I'm getting here. Sadly the error message comes whatever doc I have open, even a blank one. I've tried the option to reinstall openoffice.org components many times.

You know, I think that because I'm using pre-release OO, java and Ubuntu this is probably not worth all your efforts. I'll just wait for the releases and revisit the issue then. Thanks very much to everyone

Roger
  • edited February 24, 2010
    Ok folks, I've now made sure that my software is all release grade, with Firefox 3.6 and OO 3.2. But I still have the same errors I'm afraid. To recap -

Both the main Zotero2 and the latest OO Firefox addons are installed

Java is installed and OO settings seem to point to the correct directory -
    file:///usr/lib/openoffice/basis-link/ure-link/share/java/
    Java tests run correctly in Firefox

The soffice directory is - file:///usr/lib/openoffice/program/

The Zotero toolbar displays correctly in OO, but when I try to insert a citation (either in a new or an existing doc) I get this -

"Firefox could not load the component required to communicate with your word processor. Please ensure that the appropriate Firefox extension is installed and try again."

I've tried this on three or four installs, both real and in VirtualBox, all with the same result, so I'm fairly sure it isn't just me ;-)

Any help appreciated! Cheers
    Roger
  • Ok, here's a clue. It seems that in Ubuntu 10.4 Lucid, the open source version of Java (OpenJDK) is installed and sun-java6 is not yet packaged or available

So although OpenOffice, Firefox and the rest of the system do see a Java system installed, it perhaps isn't as polished as the main Sun version. Or maybe something in Zotero needs to be tweaked to make it compatible

Has anyone here managed to run Zotero with OpenJDK? If so, how? If not, maybe this is something the Zotero team needs to know...

Cheers
    Roger
  • as I seem to have taken this thread into a java area, i'll stop here and report in the troubleshooting section...
    R
  • Roger,

I had a similar issue and the same error message using Kubuntu 9.10, OOo3.2 and Firefox 3.6. Installing sun-java6-plugin fixed it for me so I suspect your assumptions are correct. It would be nice if the program looking for Java (Firefox? Zotero?) didn't limit itself to the Sun version.

Andrew.
  • On Mac Leopard OOo 3.2 is not working with Zotero.
  • juh: It works fine for me and others. Follow up on your thread, since this is not a general issue.
  • Somehow I got into the wrong forum. So the extension 3.0a7 works with OOo 3.2 on Snow Leopard for you all? What did I wrong? I even followes the instruction with adding this python-ext thing.
  • edited March 13, 2010
    So the extension 3.0a7 works with OOo 3.2 on Snow Leopard for you all?
    For me, yes. Follow up on your thread, not here. And PythonExt is for MacWord—it has nothing to do with OO.
  • I am running Kubuntu 9.10 on a netbook: Asus EEEPC 1005HA with Firefox 3.6, OO 3.1, Zotero 2.0.2 and the 3.0a7 extension.

I accepted the offer to upgrade to Firefox 3.6 and it broke by Zotero integration. I get:

I downgraded Firefox to 3.5, with everything else the same. Now it's working again.
  • amycsj: This thread is about OO 3.2.