Where is the Zotero menu?

OK, so I`m completely new to all this. First paper, first reference list, first use of a reference management system. So far, good up to a point... Have saved the references in my library - excellent - but can find no way of entering citations into text or of moving the reference list to the text (Word). There does not appear to be any Zotero menu anywhere on the toolbar. Have tried reloading Connector. The help videos do not include this particular problem. Help!
  • See Zotero Toolbar Doesn't Appear and the platform-specific steps linked from there, and if you're still having trouble, let us know exactly what you tried, in your own words, and what happened at each step.

Nothing to do with the Zotero Connector, which runs in your browser. That's only relevant for saving items to Zotero and for Google Docs integration.
  • Sorry to be dense, but where might `Zotero preferences` be?
  • Hi again,
    In `cite`, there is a message that the Word add-in is already installed, and the button to reinstall is disabled.
    The instructions appear to suggest that in such circumstances I need to go to `tools`, which means that I now have to ask where `tools` is. Sorry. j
  • It's just the Tools menu in the menu bar, but I'm not sure what you mean by "the button to reinstall is disabled". The button should never be disabled. The instructions say to go to Tools → Add-ons if you don't see the installation buttons at all in Cite.

Can you provide a screenshot of what you're seeing?
  • There is no Zotero menu bar.
    By disabled, I mean that if I move the cursor over it and click, nothing happens. The button itself is edged in blue.
    Don`t know how to do a screen shot!
  • Can you provide a Debug ID for clicking the Reinstall button?
  • Can`t even get close. No Zotero `help` visible, and I have no idea what Windows R is or how to get there.
  • edited February 21, 2024
    I'm afraid you're going to have to get someone to help you in person (or via screen sharing), following along with our instructions. This is all documented and pretty basic, and there's no other way we can help you.

(Help is the Help menu in the menu bar, just as Tools is the Tools menu in the menu bar. If you're running the Zotero app, I promise you it's on the screen in front of you.)
    To be clear, though, this is very likely all unnecessary. After running Zotero for the first time, you should have a Zotero menu in the Word ribbon after restarting Word. I would guess that you're just overlooking it. If you provided a screenshot of Word, we could tell you if it was there, but that's something you'd have to figure out how to do — we’re not able to provide general Windows usage guidance here.
  • Hi,
    Plainly, I`m going to have to give myself some tutorials in IT, dammit.
    Fairly sure that the Zotera tool bar is nowhere, having right- and left-clicked on everything.
    By way of comparison, I`ve just signed up to Mendeley, and the Mendeley icon appeared immediately, in the Word-reference menu. There doesn`t appear to be any way of transferring my reference list, so I`ll continue with Zotera for now. Either way, it looks like I`m going to lose a couple more days
    Will be in touch.
    Thanks for trying, anyway.
    j
    Don`t know how to do a screen shot!
    For example: https://www.take-a-screenshot.org
    After getting the screenshot in the clipboard, you can just paste in the box where you are typing your reply.
    Or if you have saved it as a file, you can just drag and drop the file in the comment box, or click on the button Paste, drop, or click to add images and select the file.
    This will generate a link starting with https://s3.amazonaws.com/zotero.org/images/forums/[...], and you can view the image by pressing on the Preview button below.

What is your operating system and its version?
    Which Word version are you using?
    Which version of Zotero do you have installed?

In the instructions provided above, "Zotero" refers to the desktop app, which you should have installed from here, in contrast with the "Zotero tab or toolbar" that should appear in Word.
  • Sorry for the delay... One or two of us still prefer to live in the non-virtual world...
    The zotero tab and toolbar were missing because for some reason the addin had not installed.
    Have now managed to install it, and now have both tab and toolbar, but have also been provided with a new library. Still without tab when I visit the old library where all my references are, and without a tab there cannot do anything .
    Is there any way of gaining access to the old library/saving it elsewhere?