Old doc won't work with new zotero

I have a document I've been working on that I created with the pre RC1-RC2 versions of zotero. Sadly, after the upgrade I can no longer access zotero from the document (in Word 2007), I get an error that says:

"An error occurred when communicating with Zotero. Please ensure firefox is open and try again"

If I try to access Zotero from a new blank document, it works fine, however.

I'd like to avoid, if possible, having to rebuild my whole document. I do realise that Word 2007 isn't supposed to be supported, but it was working fine before this last upgrade.
  • Are you using the newly updated version of the Word plugin? It's available here.
  • I have the same problem with mattanddaniel, and it is the first time this occured.
    (I can send the word-file for analysing).

Yes, I am using the Zotero-Word-Plugin-1.0a3-Win.zip plugin.
  • edited September 5, 2007
    wertamaki: Please send a copy of the document to support@zot....org. It may have some problematic field codes that are an artifact of one of the earlier plugin releases.
  • i don't know if it's a different case..

i have a 200 pages oo doc with many citations created with previous zotero plugin
    Due to many problems, i have desinstalled this plugin from oo, and continue to work on the document waiting for a new oo plugin. Citations are still present, for me as text, but i'm not sure...

afeter installing Zotero 1.0rc2 and the new plugin, no problem on a new doc, but when i tried to set zotero preferences in the existing document or insert a new citation... i have an error:
    ------
    error runtime type com.sun.star.lang.IllegalArgumentException message
    seems to be on
    fnRangeComp = thisComponent.Text.compareRegionStarts(oR1, oR2) > 0
    in function Function fnRangeComp(m1, m2) as boolean
    -----------------

thanks a lot for your work...
  • the comment of sean was rigth... after deleting all existing reference field in the document (using oo navigator), no more pbs...

now, that works fne !

perhaps a tools to convert existing reference would be nice !

pam
  • hum...
    not so good !!

i have re-inserted 9 references in my document, and created a biblio.
    one reference was cited two times, so i made a copy/paste on the reference

that have generated an error... So i have deleted the copy... tried to reinsert the reference, deleted the TEMP Zotero reference in oo navigator... but, i have again the same error than previously on every zotero action...

------------
    error runtime type com.sun.star.lang.IllegalArgumentException message
    seems to be on
    fnRangeComp = thisComponent.Text.compareRegionStarts(oR1, oR2) > 0
    in function Function fnRangeComp(m1, m2) as boolean
    -----------------

???
    pam
  • The OpenOffice errors are unrelated to the Word errors. In both cases, we have open tickets and are aware of the problems. We have already fixed the Word problem in our development branch and will be releasing an update very soon.

Thank you for the bug reports and for your patience!
  • edited August 22, 2007
    Hi,

I am having the same problem as the original poster, with Word integration.

I've read all the posts above, but I don't quite understand if there is a fix or not...
    Is there any way of 'repairing' my existing word document?

Thanks.
  • edited September 5, 2007
    Pam: Please send a copy of the file you are having problems with to: support@zot....org, I'm hoping they will forward it on to me and hopefully I might see what is causing the problem.
  • Please update your Zotero installation to 1.0 RC3, available now for download on our homepage. It should resolve the communication error messages that people were experiencing with the MS Word plugin.
  • ian,

no news since i sent my mail with my doc.
    but, surprise... now, that's work fine..

after my mail, i have desactivate the plugin to work without.. deleting all zotero reference... but i decided to make a new test this week..
    and no problems ! even with 148 references and a biblio...

So... nice !

in 2 months i'll be very interested to set specific reference and biblio format.

i'm going to open a new discussion on that.

thanks everybody for that "must have" tools...
    pam