Zotero: is better snap or apt?

Hello,
I am using Ubuntu 22.04 and I switched from apt to snap Zotero distribution because I had problems with the connection between Zotero an L.O. Writer.
Now that I have snap I have two problems:
1. the absence of updates. I get a pop up window from Zotero regarding upgrades, but snap does not have them, so the pop up comes over and over.
2. I lost the plugin because of some troubles with the Java environment.
Given these troubles, what distribution is better?
Thank you
  • You should use the semi-official zotero-deb for Ubuntu/Debian type distros, see https://www.zotero.org/support/installation#debianubuntu-based_distros
    If that's what you mean by apt (it does use apt install), you should have stayed with it. The LO issue was likely separate.
  • I'm having issues with this as well. As the OP said, the snap will not update the Zotero install. I did take your comment to heart and will avoid snaps in general.

I followed the directions you linked to as best I could. I extracted the contents of the tarball and moved the contents to the opt directory. I can't tell, though, how to - as the instructions say - "and run zotero from that directory to start Zotero." I've made the folder and files executable. I've tried double-clicking on multiple files in the extracted directory including the jar file. I don't know which file exactly will "run Zotero."

I'm not that worried about a launcher link. I can do that later, I think, unless you tell me that I have to set up the launcher to make Zotero work.

Thank you for your help!

Mike
  • But that's not what @adamsmith said to do? He said to use the zotero-deb package. If you don't know what to do with the tarball, you shouldn't use the tarball.