How to switch off dashed underlines for edited citations

This is currently just a work-around and a feature request.
I noticed when preparing a thesis for print that some of my in-line Harvard style citations had (some think dotted)/dashed underlines after refreshing the document.

All of the advice that I saw here suggested to refresh, re-enable automatic updates, or edit those citations so as to reset them, but this would mean changing the custom formatting that I rightly want to keep. For example, when I want to start a paragraph with a reference to a text:
"Name (year) discusses how silly this bug is...", which is allowed for in the Harvard style.
Also this becomes an issue when I want to include page numbers in particular citations.

Only the second reply to this thread had a work-around:
https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/comment/454145/#Comment_454145
Simply select those odd underlined citations and un-select the Underline text formatting button or press Ctrl+U.

However, this may only be a final fix that you must remember to apply at the end, not suitable halfway through editing when another refresh may return those underlines.
In some cases I ended up not adding a Zotero citation entry to those page references at all, where I had already cited that author elsewhere in the document, but merely left it as plain text.

Can we please have an option to suppress these warning underlines when we are well aware that some citations have been edited and will not be updated?
  • 1) You can very much add page numbers and create author (year) citations without manually editing citations in Word without breaking citation updating, see https://www.zotero.org/support/word_processor_plugin_usage
    2) So what it sounds like you're doing is to edit citations manually *while having automatically update citations turned off*.
    I think we're just going to tell you to not do that: even if you're going to manually edit citations (which you really should avoid), you definitely don't want to do this on citations that are, potentially, incorrect (e.g., missing disambiguation suffixes for the year in a Harvard style).
    I guess we could consider turning off the underlining once you've done this *and* clicked No in the Refresh dialog, but I don't know the technical side of this.
  • edited February 15, 2024
    @researchmonke Note that if you manually remove the underline it will not appear after a refresh for edited citations. However, adamsmith is correct in that you are editing potentially incorrectly formatted citations per citation style guidelines when they are displayed with dashed underlines and it is very much not recommended to do that as you will likely end up with wrong citation formatting that way.
  • @adomasven I am seeing underline after refresh for edited citations (when No/keep changes is selected)
  • Sorry, my initial comment was not worded correctly, but I have edited it since. The underline will not reappear if you remove it manually in Word and then refresh the document.