[Z7] Unable to save PDF from Firefox

Ever since installing the latest Zotero beta a couple days ago, I've been unable to save PDFs using the Zotero Connector in Firefox. However if I launch another Chromium-based browser and navigate to the same URL, the Zotero Connector works fine and I'm able to save the PDF to my library.

I'm referring specifically to PDFs open in the browser's built-in PDF viewer. I'm only encountering issues when attempting to save PDFs in that scenario. If I try to save the article from the journal's website, I don't have any issue. But there are some cases where I need to save a PDF file from other non-journal sources, in which case I have to navigate to the URL which hosts the file directly and save from there using the Connector.

I know a workaround would be to simply download the file and drag it into my Zotero library. But I find it smoother to use the connector for importing (even though it always fails to pull metadata in this scenario) just for the convenience. I'm hoping this functionality can be restored.

Zotero Debug ID: D371920754
Zotero Connector Debug ID: D6827717
  • edited February 14, 2024
    Same here, but with different output depending on the PDF.

With this document, the connector in Firefox doesn't detect it's a PDF, but as a web page. Clicking on the button doesn't do anything. In Chromium, the document is not detected as a PDF either, but is able to save to Zotero, as mentioned by the OP.

With this document, the connector in Firefox again detects it as a web page. And clicking on the button has no effect. In Chromium, the document is successfully detected as a PDF and is saved in Zotero with correct metadata.

Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS
    Zotero 7.0.0-beta.58
    Firefox 122.0.1, Zotero connector 5.0.115beta3
    Chromium 121.0.6167.160, Zotero connector 5.0.114
  • Same -- I don't get the PDF icon in Firefox on any page anymore (on Windows, also on the beta), neither on the PDFs shared by poettli nor on any others I've tested.
  • edited February 14, 2024
    Sorry about that. Fixed in the latest Connector beta.