Field codes visible but not recognised

Hi

I'm on Zotero 6.0.3, Windows, writing in Word and saving to docx.

I inserted a reference in a relatively recent version (but I'm not sure which), and the references were working fine at that point.

Today, I tried to update the references and something is broken. The field codes are there, I can alt+f9 and see them/they're grey on selecting, but when I try to create the bibliography I get an "insert reference first" message, and when I click on 'insert/edit' within any of the in-text citations, they come up blank (rather than opening with the item cited).

Any suggestions appreciated (I'll trawl my doc versions or just manual update otherwise).

• Can you post a screenshot of a citation with field codes visible, please?
  • @sjgknight: You can also send the document (or an excerpt of it) to support@zotero.org with a link to this thread and we can take a look. This does sound like the file was somehow saved in a way that broke the references, though.
  • @sjgknight: The document you sent is working fine here. It doesn't have a Zotero citation style set for some reason, but after selecting one from the plugin's Document Preferences window, it's working normally.

Restart your computer, make sure Word is updated, and try again.

(Also, just to be clear, you're using Zotero 6.0.30, not 6.0.3, correct?)
  • Thanks Dan, and sorry I should've tried that first (I just realised the same).

Step 1, always turn it off and on again...sigh.

Oddly I opened another document and it was fine. I opened old versions of this document and on all of them it looked like the fields were there but not being recognised. After restarting Word (just Word, not the PC or Zotero), they are now appearing in all versions with an initial prompt for me to set the citation style.

And yep, 6.0.30.

Thanks for the speedy help,