Right-click on note to export it (plus citation) to Word?

Hi everyone,

I've just made the switch from Citavi to Zotero.

In Citavi, you could right-click on a quote/note and then choose "Export to Word file", so the quote (and citation) would immediately appear in the Word file you're currently using.

Since I find it a bit hard to find quotes/notes through the "Insert Note" button of the Zotero Word AddIn, I hoped to circumvent it this way, but I couldn't find a way to do it.

Does such a feature exist in Zotero (I'm currently using vers. 6) or do you plan to add it in a future version?

Thanks a ton!
  • edited 20 days ago
    I don't know if this satisfy your needs but I explain this kind of a workflow in the linked discussion. You can give a title to each note by typing in the first line. Then you can add notes from the Word plugin by searching for titles.
    Also developer dstillman says that individual annotations will be searchable in the future. https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/110923/add-note-from-annotations-as-1-note-per-annotation-so-note-tags-show-up-individually-in-search#latest
  • Thanks!
    The problem is I have over 3000 notes and many of them have similar titles.
    Searching through the Word plugin "Insert Note" often takes a lot of time.

Currently,
    (1) I search for a given note in Zotero,
    (2) then remember the name of the author and publication,
    (3) then search for the author/publication in the "Add/Edit Citation" window in Word,
    (4) and then choose the right note from the notes that are shown under this publication.

However, I have several book-length works in my Zotero project that each have more than 50 notes - so even with this method it can take quite some time.

I've seen that there is the possibility to "Export Note" when you right-click on a note in Zotero (in the standard interface, not the pdf interface). While it offers multiple ways of exporting a note, just adding it to an open Word file doesn't seem to be one of them.
  • That's going to be possible easily via https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/comment/453640/#Comment_453640 but isn't currently
  • @MimifromG @adamsmith the Insert Note dialog will show a list of notes selected in the Zotero library window in the next Beta release.
  • This sounds great - thank you so much!