Snapshots for web pages with embedded video

Whenever I view a snapshot of a web page that has an embedded video the entire snapshot shows up as a page full of letters and numbers. I'm not a site designer, but it looks to me like the raw code for the page. I can think of lots of reasons why I wouldn't be able to have the video captured as part of the snapshot, but I'd like the rest of the page to load correctly. Is there anyway to fix this?
  • Can you give the URL for one such site? It's hard to say what's causing this without seeing what site triggers it.
  • Sure, try this one: http://www.kcra.com/video/9612186/index.html
  • I don't see any problems with that snapshot-- there is a blank spot where the video was, but otherwise it looks fine.

What version of Zotero and Firefox are you using, and what operating system are you running?
  • Hmm, that's strange. I'm running Zotero 2.0rc5 and Firefox 3.5.7 on Mac OS X Snow Leopard. Incidentally, I also had the problem before the latest Zotero update.
  • I'm not sure what could cause the difference. I'm using the latest dev build under Windows Vista and Firefox 3.6; perhaps this is caused by the Flip4Mac plugin used for showing Windows Media video on Snow Leopard?

Can you post part of the "raw code" that you see in place of the snapshot?
  • Here's what comes up when I view the snapshot of that URL I posted above:

var cid='1fe8dc40905971'; function cmIV_(){var a=this;this.ts=null;this.tsV=null;this.te=null;this.teV=null;this.fV=false;this.fFV=false;this.fATF=false;this.nLg=0;this._ob=null;this._obi=null;this._id=null;this._ps=null;this._it=0;this._ic=0;this._vt=0;this._vtl=0;this.oDoc=null;this._w=0;this.height=0;this._to=null;this.mxVT=150;this.done=false;this.curl=["unknown","unknown"];this._init=function(e,c,b,d){if(!document.getElementById){return}if(e===undefined){e=this.buildTxId()}a._w=b;a.height=d;a._id=e;a.oDoc=c;CollectiveMedia.addEvt(window,"load",this.onLoad)};this.buildTxId=function(){var b=new Date(),c;txId=""+b.getYear()+b.getMonth()+b.getDate()+b.getHours()+b.getMinutes()+b.getSeconds();for(c=0;c<36;c++){txId+=a.rand(10)}return CollectiveMedia.network+"-"+txId};this.mkIframe=function(f,b,h){if(f=="about:blank"){return true}if(document.createElement&&(iframe=document.createElement("iframe"))){iframe.src="about:blank";iframe.frameborder=false;iframe.style.width=iframe.style.height=iframe.style.margin=iframe.style.padding=0;iframe.style.visibility="hidden";iframe.name=iframe.id="cmif"+b;document.body.appendChild(iframe);var d;if(iframe.contentDocument){d=iframe.contentDocument}else{if(iframe.contentWindow){d=iframe.contentWindow.document}else{if(window.frames[iframe.name]){d=window.frames[iframe.name].document}}}if(d){d.open();var g=f.replace(/\s+/g,"").replace(/&clicktag=.*$/i,"").replace(/%25/g,"%");var e=g.replace(/\*/,"%2A").replace(/~/g,"%7E");var c=g.replace(/%2a/gi,"*").replace(/%7E/gi,"~");durl=decodeURIComponent(g);d.write('");d.write(' ');d.write(' ');d.write(' ');if(g!=e){d.write(' ')}if(g!=durl){d.write(' ')}d.write("");d.close()}}};this.onLoad=function(){var f=null,g,e,d,h,b;g=a.oDoc.childNodes;for(e=g.length-1;e>=0;e--){f=g[e];if(f.nodeName=="A"){if(f.firstChild!==null&&f.firstChild.nodeName=="IMG"&&f.firstChild.width==a._w&&f.firstChild.height==a.height){a._ob=f.firstChild;a.curl=["A",f.href]}}else{if(f.nodeName=="OBJECT"&&f.width==a._w&&f.height==a.height){noscript=a.noScript(f);if(noscript&&noscript.textContent&&false){a.curl=["OBJECT",noscript.textContent.replace(/\s+/g,"").replace(/^.+href="([^"]+)".+$/i,"$1")];a._ob=f}else{}if(a.curl[1]&&a.curl[1]!="unknown"){a.mkIframe(a.curl[1],e,noscript)}}else{if(f.nodeName=="FORM"){a._ob=f;a.curl=["FORM",f.action]}}}}if(a._ob!==null){b=document.createElement("IMG");b.height=1;b.width=1;b.id="img"+a._id;document.body.appendChild(b);a.obj_init(a._ob);a._log("L")}};this.noScript=function(c){var b=c;for(i=0;i<2;i++){b=b.nextSibling;if(b.nodeName=="NOSCRIPT"){return b}}return null};this.obj_init=function(c){this._ob=c;var b="img"+this._id;this._obi=document.getElementById(b);if(this._ob!==null){CollectiveMedia.addEvt(window,"beforeunload",this._e_b4);CollectiveMedia.addEvt(window,"blur",this._e_bl);CollectiveMedia.addEvt(window,"focus",this._e_scr);CollectiveMedia.addEvt(window,"unload",this._e_b4);CollectiveMedia.addEvt(window,"scroll",this._e_scr);CollectiveMedia.addEvt(window,"resize",this._e_scr);CollectiveMedia.addEvt(this._ob,"mouseover",this._e_in);CollectiveMedia.addEvt(this._ob,"mouseout",this._e_ou);CollectiveMedia.addEvt(this._ob,
  • Also, please post other URLs that cause this behavior-- I would expect this to be site-specific, so it's particularly odd if it happens everywhere.
    Does it happen if you try to take a snapshot of a YouTube page? How about the Zotero homepage (which has an embedded video screencast)?
  • As I was finding the URLs to answer your question above, I tried visiting the URLs again and attaching new snapshots. Those that didn't work before now look fine. I don't know why some didn't work the first time. Could that happen if the page hadn't completely loaded before I took the snapshot?
  • I'm not sure what would cause what you were seeing. If you can find a page that does that consistently, post it here. Glad to hear that this seems to have cleared itself up.