"exporting" tag cloud?

have people started working on exporting the tag cloud feature? i love this for categorizing my own notes (rather than folders/"collections", as has been discussed often on this forum) and i'd like to take this out of zotero and into other's hands. for example, if i have 100 references tagged, it would be amazing to generate a bibliography with a tag cloud on top, linking to the bottom (i'd be happy to implement a tool for this in PHP if the raw data were spit out)... or at the minimum, something of a tag cloud idea?
  • No, I mean like xml data, or an html file like the report generator, which is then put into that nifty thing that strips certain fields
  • edited February 10, 2010
    Not sure if it's what you're after, but the raw data from which a tag cloud for a set of references can be generated is included in a simple Zotero RDF export of the items.
  • Well its similar, but I want this: a simple spit out of just the tags, with their relative numbers or importance, ie:

<tags>
    <tag>blue</tag>
    <tagnumber>17</tagnumber>
    <tag>red</tag>
    <tagnumber>10</tagnumber>
    </tags>

that way i can generate an unordered list with css classes, have it be cool and dynamic and stuff... basically hte only way i can "share" a tag cloud right now with anyone else is by taking a screenshot and cropping it to just show the tag cloud, which is a pretty weak usage of an incredibly powerful (much more than collections et al) tool...
  • Well, for what it's worth:

SELECT name, COUNT(*) AS count FROM itemTags NATURAL JOIN tags WHERE libraryID IS NULL GROUP BY name ORDER BY count DESC, name;
  • DAn,
    thats fantastic! I was able to download an SQLite client and export that query to a CSV (except I changed it to sort by name, because it looks better in the cloud format). I'm now quickly building something that will convert that CSV to a nice web format... Here's the question, is there any way the program can output something like that directly (I'm really not good with building a Firefox extension) or concentrate it in the reports or something like that?
  • It may be worth to have a look at Vuze V3.0. The new version has a plugin for Zotero. See https://vue-forums.uit.tufts.edu/posts/list/521.page
  • For what it's worth, there's actually rudimentary tag cloud functionality in Zotero, but it's not finished and currently disabled via extensions.zotero.tagCloud in about:config. I believe the current code doesn't compute the weights correctly within collections (due to the lack of data layer support for getting the necessary data). Someone is certainly welcome to work on that if they want.

I'm not sure in what way exactly Zotero would export something like this directly.