Feature request: Quick open / quick switcher

edited January 29, 2024
Dear Zotero team,

thanks for the great software! My feature request is to introduce a keyboard shortcut, for example CMD + O, that does the following:

1. It opens a big, wide text entry field in the center of the screen, partly overlaying the current view. This should work from anywhere in Zotero, whether you are currently looking at your library, or viewing a pdf.
2. When you start typing, it conducts a fuzzy search of your whole library.
3. The search results are displayed as a comfortable list directly below the text entry field.
4. You can navigate the search results with the arrow keys. Pressing enter either opens the item in the integrated viewer in a new tab (if the item is not currently open), or switches to the item (if it is currently open). Clicking has the same effect.

I feel like this feature would greatly enhance my work with Zotero. This request is inspired a lot by the "Quick switcher" feature in the note-taking software Obsidian (https://obsidian.md).

As a "quick & small solution", I would also appreciate a toggle to tell the ordinary "search" to always look in my whole library. While this would not replace my desire for a "Quick switcher", it would be nice :)

Thanks!