cleaning up unlinked files in Storage folder from zotfile > internal storage move

I set up Zotero using zotfile before moving everything to internal storage about half a year ago, which worked very well. I do not use sync. I do have daily automatic backups but they don't reach that far back.

Occasionally, I see "The attached file could not be found" messages. Foxtrot Professional Search finds the "lost" files in ~/Zotero/storage/UNIQUEID/. Searching for the UNIQUEID of the containing folder in Zotero does not find an entry.

So I might have quite a few unlinked files and folders in my storage folder. Is there a way to display them and move them out of the storage folder?

I am using 7.0.0-beta.54+6b996d4f9 and occasionally switch to Zotero 6.0.30 for some zutilo functionality on an M1 macbook pro with Sonoma 14.2.1.

Thanks!
  • Your problem is with local Zotero storage so seems unrelated to Zotfile. It's most likely to get the quick attention of the devs here if you don't mention plugins in your thread title that are not their responsibility to support. ;)
  • ok, thanks, didn't know. It might not even be due to the zotfile move. But that's the only awkward thing I did.
  • No, mentioning ZotFile is helpful. It may be unrelated, but if you're seeing something unexpected, we would always want to know if you used a plugin that might have contributed to it.

Can you give some examples of folders with orphaned files?
  • report ID

folders in ~/Zotero/storage not found by Zotero:
    LKKQXCZI
    SUVLF4JQ
    S7YG3T2F
    7M5Q8PMM
    GVUQUST9
    8WQ9YZHM
    K3SA8LDF
  • The group library. Sorry, I'm not doing this on purpose. I stopped syncing it.