Slow Zotero even after disabling automatic updates

I use a MAC and and zotero plugin for Microsoft Word. Zotero has been extremely slow in updating my document, I need to wait half an hour simply to update one footnote. I just disabled automatic updates, which did nothing with the speed. I am really concerned here, as it is basically impossible to work. My document has 800 footnotes, and I suspect dividing the document into separate chapters/documents would help the issue, but I am really frustrated that it is not possible to use Zotero when working on an entire book (as a similar issue will likely happen when I combine the chapters again at the end and will need to sync everything). I see multiple complains about this in the zotero forum over the years, why isn't this prioritized???
  • If you read the complaints about this, you must have seen the repeated explanation that this is due to the slowness of the Mac for Word connection to other tools (like Zotero). This isn't prioritized because the bulk of the lag comes from Word for Mac, not Zotero, and Zotero, of course, doesn't develop Word for Mac.

Zotero is much faster in Word for Windows and LibreOffice, though I understand that doesn't help you much.

(And yes, splitting the doc will help dramatically, which is why that's the standard advice. Yes, you'll need quite some time when you re-assemble it, but you only need to do that once).

• edited January 20, 2024
    If you try LibreOffice you will be amazed and quite pleased. We are a Mac shop and LO is a perfect replacement -- especially because it works so well with Zotero.