Export inproceedings with crossref

edited January 11, 2024
I have the items below in my bib files, which were generated by hand.
The point I want to emphasize is the use of crossref within an inproceedings item.

Is there any way of exporting this from within Zotero, perhaps by using some extension?

#Item 1
@inproceedings{vandam2000ImpactRockPlasticity,
title = {Impact of Rock Plasticity on Hydraulic Fracture Propagation and Closure},
author = {{van Dam}, D. B. and Papanastasiou, P. and {de Pater}, C. J.},
pages = {SPE-63172-MS},
doi = {10.2118/63172-MS},
crossref = {speatce2000},
url = {https://onepetro.org/SPEATCE/proceedings/00ATCE/All-00ATCE/SPE-63172-MS/132186},
}

#Item 2
@proceedings{speatce2000,
title = {2000 SPE Annual Technical Conference and Exhibition},
booktitle = {2000 SPE Annual Technical Conference and Exhibition},
publisher = {Society of Petroleum Engineers},
address = {USA},
year = {2000},
month = oct,
eventdate = {1–4 October, 2000},
venue = {Dallas},
location = {Texas},
}

• Definitely not with Zotero out of the box. I understand what this does, of course, but what's the use case (as opposed to just putting all data into inproceedings as Zotero does)?
    @emilianoeheyns are you supporting crossref in BBT?
  • There's not enough information in Zotero to do it automatically (I can't assume relations are always crossrefs), but manually it could be done by adding tex.crossref: speatce2000 to the extra field.
  • @adamsmith

The use case is having "centralized" the info about a conference (@proceedings). This might need editing by hand, but only once.

This way, each item might have incomplete/inaccurate information about the Conference (a usual case when obtaining the information via Zotero connector, or importing PDFs as links and then creating a parent item), and crossref would take care of it.
  • Right, but you're using Zotero to generate the bibtex so (absent hierarchical relationships there) it's either unnecessary (because the metadata about the proceeding already matches) or impossible (because how would Zotero pick which one to use or even tell they're the same).
  • edited January 11, 2024
    @adamsmith

I don't understand your comment.
    I have just exercised the solution by @emilianoeheyns, and it does exactly what I need.

So now I don't need to enter manually all the information in Zotero for Item #1 (which was not picked correctly). I only need to enter manually tex.crossref: speatce2000, and perhaps some later deletion in my generated bib (which is always faster and simpler than entering data).

And if I realize I need to change anything about Item #2, I do it only once.
    For me, the use case is very clear, I wonder why it isn't for you.
  • Make sure to pin your keys if you use the extra route - the extra field won't update when the crossref parent does.

It's a paradigm that's strangely particular to bibtex. I hope that if book/chapter relations come to Zotero, this will too.