Attempting to move large folder from My Library to new Group Library Folder

Report ID: 1162238280

As the title says, I was attempting to move large folder (11223 items) from My Library to a new Group Library folder I created. I did this with drag-and-drop because there seemed to be no better way to do it. Oh, and please please make a better way to do this that doesn't involve drag and drop (I imagine this is on a feature request somewhere).

Here's the background, although it's probably not relevant to the issue, it's a Zotero use case, and could be helpful. In my dissertation, I did a very large systematic quantitative lit review of ~11k items*. I didn't quite realize how Zotero folder structures worked before I started, so I made the folder for it in My Library, which was a mistake, because for replication and transparency purposes, and my own sanity purposes, it should have been quarantined from the rest of My Library. This also caused some issues when a few results in the massive queries matched items I already had in My Library.

Now, with the study done and going out for publishing, I realized I should try to move everything to a Group Library so that other scholars could easily access it, and so it would haunt my My Library no more--the loading of My Library is now pretty bad with so many items, and I have the slight risk of items being confused between the discrete lit review and my person library. So, I tried to drag-and-drop this large folder to the new Group Library folder and after a little while, the little red ! appeared in Zotero Desktop next to the spinning error.

Without Zotero this large-scale lit review would have been much, much harder, which is a testament to how useful Zotero is, considering it wasn't designed for such a thing. However, I think computer-aided, or perhaps better termed as programming-aided lit reviews are a key element in the future of better science. If I can help the Zotero team identify how Zotero could make these sorts of efforts even easier and more replicable for future researchers, it would be my pleasure. I know, it's not a core use case, but lofty targets are sometimes useful in thinking about current directions.

* The pre-print of this study is here: https://stanleyrhodes.github.io/preprint_rhodes_casqlr_hier.pdf