The Zotero data directory could not be found at /Users/[my name]/Desktop/Zotero

edited January 4, 2024
Hello all!

I see that a similar question was posed before https://forums.zotero.org/discussion/86884/the-zotero-data-directory-could-not-be-found-at-but-a-data-directory-was-found-at, but my question is a little different:

When I get the error message "The Zotero data directory could not be found at /Users/[my name]/Desktop/Zotero, but a data directory was found at /Users/[my name]/Zotero. Use this directory instead?"

I am given the option to click on "Locate…" which I assumed would make it possible for me to navigate to the zotero.sqlite I have saved on my desktop (rather than the older one that the system is now prompting me to use).

However, when I click on "Locate…," my Zotero main library window flashes up for a second, then disappears, then nothing happens. When I click on Zotero >> Settings in the top left-hand corner of my screen, nothing happens. After about 3 minutes, I am given a Zotero crash report and asked if I want to send to Apple.

Not sure, then, how to get Zotero to recognize the zotero.sqlite which represents my most up-to-date library.

Many thanks for reading!
  • Any reason you _want_ this to be on your desktop? Doesn't seem a good location for the data directory.
    I'd recommend closing Zotero, making a copy of the folder in the default location (/Users/[my name]/Zotero) and then copying (again, not moving before you sure everything is working) your database (and storage folder?) from the Desktop there, replacing existing files.

• Thank you, this worked!