Style Request: Latin American Research Review

Hi,
Could someone please give me a hand by developing the LARR style? I could not find any style that was too similar to the one I need, but I guess the closest one is the one listed as "Law generic style .de". Both list the author, and then the works one line below. But the LARR has them categorized also by year. The guidelines for this style con be found at:
http://lasa.international.pitt.edu/eng/larr/submission.asp
Click on Author Style Guide.

Thanks!
  • that might not be quite possible ( I don't think I can get the year quite where they want it) - but a good approximation might be, so you'd just have to move around the year a little at the end.
    I understand the author year thing in the bibliography, but for everything else, could you give me a list of differences to APA or Chicago (Author-Date). (What's in italics, what's not, how are edited works referred to, what types of abbreviations, how exactly are online sources cited, how are punctuation and parantheses used). I can take it from there.
  • For books, it's the same as Chicago. For chapters, it's also similar to Chicago, but the title of the chapter goes in quotation marks. The same applies for journal entries.
    Thanks so much!
  • I'll do this over the weekend. Can you recheck, though, that they are really the same? It's very tedious having to look up and correct all the little details and while I'm happy to do the actual coding, I don't really have time for that.

(e.g. after a quick look - edited by instead of ed., journal issues as no. 2 instead of (2) etc. )
  • oh, you're right, sorry.
    Another differences are that the LARR never mentions which edition it is, no doi, and websites or articles from the web say:
    Accessed October 15, 2004, at http....

Thanks!
  • OK, go here
    http://gist.github.com/297920
    download using the "Raw" link on the top right
    install by dragging to an open FF window.
    Should be mostly done - looks good, I think.

Please report back here.
  • Thanks!
    I did what you said, but I can't find it now in my preferences. Am I doing something wrong?
  • yes ;-)
    when you drag the file to FF (remember, first download it) you should get a pop-up
    "Install the style....." did you get that? If not, you're doing something wrong - tell me exactly step by step what you're doing.
  • Now I got it right. Thanks so much! Now, can you help me get my paper accepted at the journal? ; )
  • cool, please try this a couple of days and then give me a list of things that need fixing - once that's done the style can go into the repository.
  • For now, the only thing I noticed is that, when quoting a book, after the publisher it mentions the exact day and month it was published, and that should not be there.
    Thanks one more time!
  • I'll wait to fix this until you've tested some more - don't correct these things manually for the time being - once the corrected style is installed you can just refresh the document to fix them.
  • Hi, is this topic still active? I also need to use the LARR style, but I couldn't run the css script. I got the message "301PermMove". Does any one know what the actual status of this style is?
    Thanks a lot in advance!!!
  • The style is probably not very good, but should work. This is not a script - it's an xml file which you should add to Zotero as described.
    When do you get that message?
  • Thanks for the quick answer :)
    Well, I am quite new to this. I downloaded the file using the "Raw" link:
    right-click, "save linked file as..." and saved a 'unknown.css' file.
    Now, after taking a closer look with a text editor, I just noticed that what I actually saved was the message "301PermMove" (I am using safari)

My second try now was to click on 'Raw'. Then I copied the code, pasted into a black page of the text editor and finally saved it as "larr.xml".
    Sorry, but I couldn't understand how to add to Zotero.. what does FF mean? I tried to open the file on both safari and firefox and nothing happend. I also tried to import direct into zotero...
  • OK, take the larr.xml file you saved and rename it to larr.csl
    Then go to Cite-->Styles in the Zotero Preferences (Options), click on the + sign and browse and select that file.
    Zotero will throw a warning, but I think it should work.
  • Perfect!
    Thanks a lot. I did get the warning, but it seems to have worked. I will try to format the article with the style now.
  • as I said, it's probably not very good. I did it a long time ago and both Zotero and myself have become more capable in the meantime. If you compile a list of errors I'll see what I can do.