Sharing my libary

Can I share my 'My Library' with others - or do I have to make a 'Group Library' for that? I have built up a lot of resources in My Library, which was originally only meant for me, but now I want to share it. So wondering if I need to transfer it all to a Group Library or can leave as is. Many thanks!
  • You can set your library to be public (won't share attached files and notes are optional) via https://www.zotero.org/settings/privacy
  • Okay thank you. If I want it to be viewable by only certain people - how would I do that? Or would I need a Group Library?
  • That would need to be a group library.
  • Thank you very much!
  • edited January 20, 2024
    I have a question similar to that from earthsea3. My central Zotero library contains more than 8000 entries and I want to share the _entire_ library with a limited number of collaborators........
    (1) If I were to put all of them into a group, what happens to the >8000 entries in the original library?___
    (2) If I either add or edit entries to either the main library or the group, will they synchronize?___
    (3) Oh, yeah: the entries in the main library are frequently linked to pdf files which I've stored on GoogeDrive. Can the group members also access them?___
    (4) If these are real concerns, then do the Zoteriods have any plans to address them in the future?___
    Thanks
  • 1) Nothing. They just stay in the group.
    2) No
    3) No. Groups don't support linked files. Files stored with Zotero File Storage could be shared via a (closed) group.
    4) Not sure if any of these are concerns. 2) will be made easier in some way, though likely not sync automatically.
  • Thanks for the answers.

It isn't realistic for me to store >8000 pdf files which would be associated with > 8000 entries onto the Zotero File Storage server. I've already purchased additional space on GoogleDrive for the files, so that's where the files have been.

How about to momentarily allowing 100% public access to my database, so that the other folks could download its entries to their own desktop version of Zotero? Even though no updating is possible. Would this also import tags and notes?

Any suggestions are welcome!

Cheers
  • The links to GDrive are presumably local links though? So even if you could share your library with those (which I'm not sure I see how), I don't see how they would work. Best thing I can think of is a library export (to Zotero RDF, say) shared with others
  • My university pays for unlimited storage. I set up a group library for a class that I'm teaching. Currently, the group library uses no storage despite every entry having a linked file. The PDF is visible as an attachment it does not seem to be clickable by group members - it is greyed out. I have the group settings set to: public - closed, library reading : any group member, library editing: any group member, file editing: any group member. How to a I make the PDFs available to the group?
  • I solved my problem. In case anyone else is wondering:
    Make sure to check
    "Sync attachment files in group libraries using Zotero storage"

in Zotero>> Settings >> Sync >> File Syncing.